• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Synerge

Synerge

14 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I would say slower rotation speed is better for ice cream texture.  But if I were looking for even better texture I'd go out and buy a Pacojet.  Unfortunately I can't afford one.

Actually everything about ice cream is speed. Professional ice creams are done in 6 7 minutes, and they leave the machine almost ready, just a blast freeze and they are done

Ours leave the machine at somewhat "similar" texture and progress, in 30 minutes. If you withdraw it before, it will be quite soft, with clear and visible water spots

While longer it stays in the machine, worse structure and texture it will have. This was actually proven and tested chemically and scientifically

The difference between gelato and ice cream, is not the time, but the speed. Ice cream is done at almost double the churning speed as gelato, so it puts a lot of more air into it, but the final machine time is still the same, less than 10 minutes.

The freezer temperature must also be on par with the speed obviously, so its like -40º C, a lot more than all home machines, that can only reach that temperature with enough time and only empty, without any heating source like a mix

For example in your case that you like less air in ice creams, then you will put the dasher speed slower, maybe with a gelato setting that is quite slow, or maybe even a little less, and withdraw it at the same time, so it will have less air but everything will be creamy and frozen as it should

Those Pacojets are quite intriguing, but I believe they are more for restaurants, where they can leave the ice cream batchs ready, and then just unfrozen it when they need it and the machine does the rest. Not sure about the price of those machines though

Synerge

Synerge

7 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I would say slower rotation speed is better for ice cream texture.  But if I were looking for even better texture I'd go out and buy a Pacojet.  Unfortunately I can't afford one.

Actually everything about ice cream is speed. Professional ice creams are done in 6 7 minutes, and they leave the machine almost ready, just a blast freeze and they are done

Ours leave the machine at somewhat "similar" texture and progress, in 30 minutes. If you withdraw it before, it will be quite soft, with clear and visible water spots

While longer it stays in the machine, worse structure and texture it will have. This was actually proven and tested chemically and scientifically

The difference between gelato and ice cream, is not the time, but the speed. Ice cream is done at almost double the churning speed as gelato, so it puts a lot of more air into it, but the final machine time is still the same, less than 10 minutes.

The freezer temperature must also be on par with the speed obviously, so its like -40º C, a lot more than all home machines, that can only reach that temperature with enough time and only empty, without any heating source like a mix

Those Pacojets are quite intriguing, but I believe they are more for restaurants, where they can leave the ice cream batchs ready, and then just unfrozen it when they need it and the machine does the rest. Not sure about the price of those machines though