• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

afterthought

Hobart type planetary mixers like the KitchenAid are not easy to cover.  The only semi practical way I can think of is to purchase the hand guard attachment and cover the openings with foil.  If you mean is there a way to cover the bowl while it's heating but not being mixed, just put the lid on it.

Though if you cover the bowl you don't get evaporation...which I want.  I am aware there are a lot of variables, but as I have said before, once the process is worked out the results should be quite consistent.  Except for ambient temperature and humidity (and atmospheric pressure) the mix formulation, bowl size, temperature, RPM, and mixing time are all controllable or fixed.

Edit:  plastic wrap would probably be better and easier than foil.

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

Hobart type planetary mixers like the KitchenAid are not easy to cover.  The only semi practical way I can think of is to purchase the hand guard attachment and cover the openings with foil.  If you mean is there a way to cover the bowl while it's heating but not being mixed, just put the lid on it.

Though if you cover the bowl you don't get evaporation...which I want.  I am aware there are a lot of variables, but as I have said before, once the process is worked out the results should be quite consistent.  Except for ambient temperature and humidity (and atmospheric pressure) the mix formulation, bowl size, temperature, RPM, and mixing time are all controllable or fixed.