• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

btbyrd

btbyrd

Fixed link.

Looking back at the thread, I see the issue of containers came up. If I'm cooking for extended periods or am cooking something large-ish, I use a 12QT Rubbermaid container with this hinged lid from a company called Everie (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). That company apparently makes a whole range of lids and containers that work with Joule, so check them out. They even sell insulated wraps for the container if that's something you care about. This setup is large enough to cook pretty much all the things I normally cook. If I need to cook something longer, like a rack of ribs, I use my OG Cambro that I used to use with my Polyscience circulator. 

I find the official silicone Joule lid to be close to useless. It's too small to use on my 6 and 8 qt dutch ovens and the pots it does work on are too narrow to cook anything significant in. Maybe it'd work with the pot on my pressure cooker... I won't be finding out anytime soon. Actually the one thing that I use it for is helping to seal up the lid on my big Cambro that has a Polyscience-sized slot. It's not a great seal, but it works well enough when I'm too lazy to bust out the plastic wrap.

btbyrd

btbyrd

Looking back at the thread, I see the issue of containers came up. If I'm cooking for extended periods or am cooking something large-ish, I use a 12QT Rubbermaid container with this hinged lid. (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). That company apparently makes a whole range of lids and containers that work with Joule, so check them out. They even sell insulated wraps for the container if that's something you care about. This setup is large enough to cook pretty much all the things I normally cook. If I need to cook something longer, like a rack of ribs, I use my OG Cambro that I used to use with my Polyscience circulator. 

I find the official silicone Joule lid to be close to useless. It's too small to use on my 6 and 8 qt dutch ovens and the pots it does work on are too narrow to cook anything significant in. Maybe it'd work with the pot on my pressure cooker... I won't be finding out anytime soon. Actually the one thing that I use it for is helping to seal up the lid on my big Cambro that has a Polyscience-sized slot. It's not a great seal, but it works well enough when I'm too lazy to bust out the plastic wrap.