• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

DianaB

DianaB

@chefmd

Saw your earlier post about the beautiful red,pot and was fascinated to see what you would produce from it.

I will admit that on sight of your first photo above, showing the unbaked dough in the pot, I was surprised.  I think perhaps I need to look at that first picture on a decent screen to really understand what you have in the pot before baking. 

The second image shows a beautiful loaf, for me it looks to have ideal crust and crumb.  

Have you made a similar recipe in a cast iron pot (Dutch oven?).  I note the new device has holes in the lid but that you baked your loaf in a steam oven, do you think that the steam produced by the oven compensated for moisture lost through the lid vents?  I ask because the only way I can get a crust like your's is to bake in a pre-heated cast iron pot with an unvented lid.  I think I first came across the technique in the Forkish book you refer to above and it revolutionised my bread making.  For me it was worth the cover price for that baking technique alone!  

Your pictures, also those of @DianaM have really given me inspiration this morning.  Of course there are numerous other wonderful bread images earlier in the thread!  This is a topic I enjoy reading almost daily, thanks to all who contribute. 

DianaB

DianaB

@chefmd

Saw your earlier post about the beautiful red,pot and was fascinated to see what you would produce from it.

I will admit that on sight of your first photo above, showing the unbaked dough in the pot I was surprised.  I think perhaps I need to look at that first picture on a decent screen to really understand what you have in the pot before baking. 

The second image shows a beautiful loaf, it looks to have ideal crust and crumb.  

Have you made a similar recipe in a cast iron pot (Dutch oven?).  I note the new device has holes in the lid but that you baked your loaf in a steam oven, do you think that the steam produced by the oven compensated for moisture lost through the lid vents?  I ask because the only way I can get a crust like your's is to bake in a pre-heated cast iron pot with an unvented lid.  I think I first came across the technique in the Forkish book you refer to above and it revolutionised my bread making.  For me it was worth the cover price for that baking technique alone!  

Your pictures, also those of @DianaM have really given me inspiration this morning! Of course there are numerous other wonderful bread images earlier in the thread!