• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Web tricks for that elusive 30-day advanced reservation

gfron1

I'm going to NYC at the end of the month for Starchefs ICC and have been trying to book a powerhouse week of dining. Almost every restaurant uses OpenTable or Yelp SeatMe for their reservationing system. Take Root was top of my list, but I knew that they only had 12 seats and were only open three nights a week, so I knew they would be tough to get. My first opportunity was two nights ago and the seats opened at midnight EDT so I sat by my computer at 10 MDT and hoped New Yorkers were sleeping. Refresh. Refresh. Refresh...and finally the box for the 29th changed colors...but I couldn't click it...WTH!? So I tried repeatedly over the next two hours thinking maybe it was PDT that counted as Midnight...maybe Bangkok...maybe Berlin...I went to bed and woke up with that date being sold out. Crap.

I had one more chance for the next night, so last night same thing...same result.

Then (and finally, here's my point) my spouse said, "Try changing the time zone settings on your computer and see what happens." So I did, and sure enough YelpSeatMe cleared the date for reservations...but it was already sold out since that was at 10:30 MDT (12:30 EDT). 

Well that makes no friggin sense!. What's the point of web-based technology if my computer's time setting is involved in the process. Web time is web time. So this is a warning, a lesson and an opportunity. I don't know about OpenTable, but for YelpSeatMe, switch your settings before trying to make that cross country reservation. You're welcome. Now, can someone get me a seat at Take Root!