• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using bean powder to make mashed beans.

Silhorn

Hi,

I want to make mashed beans without all the mashing. I have an idea of cooking bean powder with water in a pot which hopefully will turn out to look like mashed beans.

Has anyone tried this before?

It will almost definitely turn out to look like mashed (or pureed) beans... but not having tried this particular product myself, I have no idea what it will taste like as compared to freshly mashed beans.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Like most dishes, refried beans made "from scratch" using good, fresh ingredients are superior to refried beans made with instant rehydrated products.

That said, I do know for a fact that a great many Mexican restaurants do use some of the assorted brands of instant beans.  And I've eaten them myself fairly often.  My father loved to take his motorcoach off on adventures and when he got too old to safely do that by himself, we kids would take turns going with him.

He loved Mexican food, and refried beans (especially molletes with beans and avocados for breakfast), and packets of the powder were the easiest thing to take with us, and to cook, by far.  The truth is that, given what they are, they're not bad - especially when you dress them up with some salsa, butter, cheese, pico, sour cream, what-have-you. They're certainly good enough for things like bean dip, nachos, molletes, etc.  And it's handy to keep a couple packages in your pantry for last-minute dinners when you simply do not have the time to make refried beans from scratch which, let's face it, does take some advance planning.  I think they're better than canned refried beans, which are a staple in many kitchens. If you don't want the vegetarian and/or low-fat option, you can reconstitute them using chicken or beef broth, or even stir in a little lard or chopped bacon or chorizo or whatever. 

There are quite a few brands.  You can go online and read reviews, but, especially since my dad had health issues, he preferred this non-fat vegetarian brand:

http://www.amazon.com/Santa-Fe-Bean-Vegetarian-7-25-Ounce/dp/B000FICDO8/ref=pd_sim_325_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1CCQW7XKADV29SVX8WNN&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR111%2C160_

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 5

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'm not sure what bean powder is supposed to be, but if it's anything like bean flour, the texture is going to be all wrong. Instead of being like mashed beans, it will be closer to a puree. There are a lot of recipes for bean dip that call for bean flour, and that's the sort of smooth texture you'll end up with. Add more liquid, and you'll have bean soup. Not to say that what you make won't be delicious, but it won't resemble mashed beans (except in flavor).

I probably should have been more specific in my response.  Silhorn did ask about bean "powder."  I do think of the instant refried beans as "bean powder," but they're not.  They're actual dehydrated beans. You can even pick them up one by one.  Which my dad sometimes did as a snack.

My response as being a pretty good product is about these dehydrated beans, like the ones to which I linked.

Silhorn, if you're talking about actual bean powder, or flour, that doesn't sound workable to me.

But if you do want an acceptable dish of refried "mashed beans without all the mashing," I definitely do suggest you give one of the instant dehydrated refried bean products a try.

That's exactly what they're for.  If you've got some other sort of "bean powder" in mind, I can't help you.

And I'm sorry if I misled you.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.