• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rotuts

rotuts

taking a page out of  @mgaretz book : tri-Tips were on sale last week  3.99.  TT's are rare in my area of the country  very common in CA where I grew up.

the TT's on sale were sliced as " tips ' not roasts , but the butcher gladly trimmed some up for me right out of the CryoVac pouches.  Ive found when I ask

for ' roasts ' rather than cut up meat,  the butchers , at least at two markets I frequent , enjoy showing off their skills.  these were very nicely trimmed :

TT1.jpg

trimmed as i got them.  2 lbs each.   I left them in the butcher's paper in the coldest part of my refrigerator for 6 days and got the above.   I had 4 for a total of

8 lbs.  Idiot that I usually am , I should have gotten two more at the time :

TT2.jpg

each TT was cut into three pieces , and seasoned lightly with either Penzey's  ( original ) Chicago Steak Seasoning or Sauers Prime Rib Rub.  two of  my

favorite meat seasonings

I always have on hand.

so this was 12 packets in the SV'der  and i had room for 6 more , which would have been very little extra work

my goal was 12 H in the SV'der  an over night run.   so I bravely started out at 128 F for 10 , then went to 130 for two more.  no real reason for this.

I chill in a deep skink I have,  w cold tap water first   about 10 minutes x 2   water temp in my area now is 59 F.  in the winter it goes down to 43 or so.  this saves on ice.

TT3.jpg

then picked up a bag of ice at a near-by liquor store and changed the water to just cover w the bag of ice:

TT4.jpg

I let the packs sit in the ice bath until most of the ice was melted.  35 f thermapen'd after 45 min.   I froze all but two

TT5.jpg

Ill keep these in the coldest part of the refrigerator until tomorrow as tonight is not the best night of the year for dinner fiddling about.

Urchins Demanding Candy , and MC wanting to see what's all the Hub-Bub about

pics tomorrow of one of the above retherm'd and cut and tasted. 18 bags would have been better than 12.  lesson learned.

as you can see im a very big fan of Bulk Sous Vide.

rotuts

rotuts

taking a page out of  @mgaretz book : tri-Tips were on sale last week  3.99.  TT's are rare in my area of the country  very common in CA where I grew up.

the TT's on sale were sliced as " tips ' not roasts , but the butcher gladly trimmed some up for me right out of the CryoVac pouches.  Ive found when I ask

for ' roasts ' rather than cut up meat,  the butchers , at least at two markets I frequent , enjoy showing off their skills.  these were very nicely trimmed :

TT1.jpg

trimmed as i got them.  2 lbs each.   I left them in the butcher's paper in the coldest part of my refrigerator for 6 days and got the above.   I had 4 for a total of

TT2.jpg

each TT was cut into three pieces , and seasoned lightly with either Penzey's  ( original ) Chicago Steak Seasoning or Sauers Prime Rib Rub.  tow I my favorite meat seasoning

I always have on hand.

so this was 12 packets in the SV'der  and i had room for 6 more , which would have been very little extra work

my goal was 12 H in the SV'der  and over night run.   so I barely started out at 128 F for 10 , then when to 130 for two.  no real reason for this.

I chill in a deep skink I have w cold tap water first   about 10 minutes x 2   water temp in my area now is 59 F.  in the winter it goes down to 43 or so.  this saves on ice.

TT3.jpg

then picked up a bag of ice at a near-by liquor store and changed the water to just cover w the bag of ice:

TT4.jpg

I let the packs sit in the ice bath until most of the ice was melted.  35 f thermapen'd after 45 min.   I froze all but two

TT5.jpg

Ill keep these in the coldest part of the refrigerator until tomorrow as tonight is not the best night of the year for dinner fiddling about.

pics tomorrow of one of the above retherm'd and cut and tasted. 18 bags would have been better than 12.  lesson learned.

as you can see im a very big fan of Bulk Sous Vide.

rotuts

rotuts

TT1.jpg

TT2.jpg

each TT was cut into three pieces , and seasoned lightly with either Penzey's  ( original ) Chicago Steak Seasoning or Sauers Prime Rib Rub.  tow I my favorite meat seasoning

I always have on hand.

my goal was 12 H in the SV'der  and over night run.   so I barely started out at 128 F for 10 , then when to 130 for two.  no real reason for this.

I chill in a deep skink I have w cold tap water first   about 10 minutes x 2   water temp in my area now is 59 F.  in the winter it goes down to 43 or so.  this saves on ice.

TT3.jpg

TT4.jpg

TT5.jpg

rotuts

rotuts

TT1.jpg

TT2.jpg

I always have on hand.

TT3.jpg

then picked up a bag of ice at a lose-by liquor store and changed the water to just cover w the bag of ice:

TT4.jpg

TT5.jpg