• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heston's lemon sole recipe

schmo

Hi all,

I just had a query regarding this Heston recipe http://fullasanegg.org/2014/09/18/heston-blumenthals-crispy-lemon-sole-with-potted-shrimps-and-cucumber/.

As I'm from Aus and I can't get sole in my area, I'm going to sub with Dory to give it a try. My main question is the cooking time equivalent? I've had a look around for instructions on baking fish and Heston's recipe says 110C for only 5 minutes with most others stipulating 15-20 minutes at 180-200C. I realise that fish is probably like steak in that it can be cooked to various degrees but given one of the people is going to be a bit on the old side I'd rather stray on the safe side =) 

Two hundred degrees Celsius is very hot.  Twenty minutes at 200 degrees Celsius would almost incinerate a small fish.  If you're cooking old people, I suggest sous vide.  They can be quite tough.

For small fish I like a high temperature for a short time.  For the recipe you linked, the sole has already been sautéed before being baked.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Hi all,

I just had a query regarding this Heston recipe http://fullasanegg.org/2014/09/18/heston-blumenthals-crispy-lemon-sole-with-potted-shrimps-and-cucumber/.

As I'm from Aus and I can't get sole in my area, I'm going to sub with Dory to give it a try. My main question is the cooking time equivalent? I've had a look around for instructions on baking fish and Heston's recipe says 110C for only 5 minutes with most others stipulating 15-20 minutes at 180-200C. I realise that fish is probably like steak in that it can be cooked to various degrees but given one of the people is going to be a bit on the old side I'd rather stray on the safe side =)

The fish is first cooked in a pan and then in the oven which is why the time is shorter. 110C is meant to bring the fish up to temp, not brown it. Other recipes have you start with a cold fish and rely on the oven to brown the outside as well.

As with all things, you should be cooking to temp, not time. Either use a thermometer or a fork to flake the fish to check whether it's cooked all the way through.

PS: I am a guy.

Thanks for your replies Shalmanese and JoNorvelleWalker. I didn't realise that the pan given it's protected by a layer of bread would reduce the cooking time so much but good to know! With respect to fish I take it that 50 degrees C is sufficient for properly cooked dory? I have a digital thermostat so will go down that route to be on the safe side!