• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Filled sweet buns.

CatPoet

There is more to buns then the classical cinnamon roll..  

What is your favourite non cinnamon filling for rolls?

Please feel  free to share  memories, anecdotes  and  recipe for filling rolls, buns or  what ever you call them.

I have many favourites  , I cant  choose   so every time I bake rolls I get to the spot of  oh I want this , no I want that and oh what I want this one and then I end up doing  just cinnamon because I cant decide, sad but true. So here are my favourite when I can decide or have made plan before starting baking.

I love to use marzipan and butter, equal parts with a little bit of vanilla or amaretto,  this  filling is perfect in saffron rolls  

Toffee buns are also a favourite,   equal parts of   brown sugar,  icing sugar, butter   and a dash of vanilla  is mixed to a paste and then spread over the dough, it becomes like toffee , yum.

Nutella, nutella rolls are heaven on a plate, well these days I have to use  vegan  milk free   hazelnut chocolate spread but it still taste good, not as great nutella but yeah good.

So what about you lot?

• Like 3

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

There is more to buns then the classical cinnamon roll..  

What is your favourite non cinnamon filling for rolls?

Please feel  free to share  memories, anecdotes  and  recipe for filling rolls, buns or  what ever you call them.

I have many favourites  , I cant  choose   so every time I bake rolls I get to the spot of  oh I want this , no I want that and oh what I want this one and then I end up doing  just cinnamon because I cant decide, sad but true. So here are my favourite when I can decide or have made plan before starting baking.

I love to use marzipan and butter, equal parts with a little bit of vanilla or amaretto,  this  filling is perfect in saffron rolls  

Toffee buns are also a favourite,   equal parts of   brown sugar,  icing sugar, butter   and a dash of vanilla  is mixed to a paste and then spread over the dough, it becomes like toffee , yum.

Nutella, nutella rolls are heaven on a plate, well these days I have to use  vegan  milk free   hazelnut chocolate spread but it still taste good, not as great nutella but yeah good.

So what about you lot?

I like marzipan filling in buns, croissants or Danish pastries, etc.  In my mom's bakery back in the '50s we made a multi-layered sweet dough thing, rolled out to about an inch thick, cut into strips, twisted and baked into "sticks" with alternating layers of marzipan and very thick raspberry jam and after baking, drizzled with chocolate - they were very popular and we usually sold out before noon.  It was a dough that did not rise much - it may have been Danish, but I can't recall the details at this remove.

On my blog I have a reconstructed and modernized recipe for a dessert my great grandmother came across during one of her trips to France in the 1870s.  Brioche buns, small, filled with marzipan and then baked into a custard - a very elegant dessert and she even gives the name of the chef in her journal.  She was a life-long foodie and collected "receipts" on all of her travels.   Not that she ever cooked or baked herself, she was a very elegant lady but always had a great relationship with her own cooks and certainly with my grandpa's cook when I was a child.  She would perch on a high stool in the kitchen and read out ingredients and confer with the cook on how a dish was to be prepared and presented. 

She carried on an extensive correspondence with friends both here and in other countries until shortly before her death in 1949 and many of these involved sharing of recipes.

• Like 8

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Oh !  I love raspberry and almond cake, so I guess I would love those rolls.. I have to make them for my birthday, or at least try to get the flavours .

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

20150427_180445_zpsiic33kk1.jpg

Toffee rolls, lovely airy toffee rolls.  The trick to airy sweet rolls is  either cream of tartar or baking ammonia, just 1 teaspoon added to the  mixture..

• Like 2