• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help: masking chocolate molds?

tarko

hi - how would u go about masking part of say a round or domeshaped bonbon mould? i would like to mask a straight line running halfway into the mould or across the whole mould similar to gustaf mabrouk's bonobon used in the world chocolate masters..

http://www.worldchocolatemasters.com/en/3223

i thought about perhaps trying to place a sliver of acetate to in the mould, and to cover a part of it with cocoabutter so that it sticks, then apply colored cocoa butter, let that harden, remove the acetate, color in the blank line, cover the mould with white or glitterpowder and then cast with chocolate. do u reckon that would work? or is there ar food grade masking tape that I could use?

/Magnus - happy amateur chocolatier

Certainly the tape technique is only for show pieces - too labor intensive. A similar effect might be done by pressing a wipe away tool dipped in cocoa butter into the mold. Not as precise. Increasingly I'm playing with negative space spray. For example (again not as precise as the example but time efficient), hold a chopstick in the mold, spray and then 2nd color fills in the negative space that was created.

if you really want that effect, and for production, not just one tray for an event, think about a wet fabric or noodle...think about driving through a car wash - those heavy felt strips that clean your car. Their weight allows them to form fit onto your hood then windshield. Maybe something similar could be found.