• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Special food for today's holiday

ElainaA

Not exactly. See Norm's picture in post #4 of this thread. I know what he means by the "paperclip". A similar folding technique after the rolling is described in the Babka recipes I have. I'm guessing, based strictly on the descriptions and pictures here, that the difference between your Potica and Norm's Povitica is probably just the folding but a little more digging may be in order now that you've aroused my curiosity.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I will attempt to show how I was taught to fold it by using two napkins with the bottom one representing the dough and the top one the nut paste layer.  The paper clip comparison may not have been an ideal example.  

DSCN2502_zpsoy5lctgj.jpg

DSCN2503_zpsctxy2zgy.jpg

DSCN2504_zpsduxyfiix.jpg

DSCN2505_zps8cvoqrws.jpg

DSCN2507_zps1rx2chp3.jpg

imgres_zps0m1gltf6.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 6

Norm Mathews, that's an excellent illustration!  Thank you!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

The most different Easter tradition for us is Povitica bread. It is a Croatian holiday sweet yeast bread with a walnut paste filling.  Someone in our neighborhood would give us a loaf every Easter.  I believe we were the only Irish protestants in the neighborhood.  I don't think I realized that other non-Catholics came out on week-days until I was in my teens. :)  Many years ago I made this a couple times with pecans when my uncle from Arkansas gave me a bag of them each Christmas, but now it is easier to just get a loaf at the Strawberry Hill bakery. 

This picture was last year's Povitica.

DSCN1365_zpsmhb6b3gi.jpg

Here it is on the table this year.  This year I went for a newer variety: the filling was apple cinnamon

DSCN2484_zpstnw0rry8.jpg

Oh, MY STARS!

We haven't met, and I seldom check in to comment, but this is simply marvelous!   I'm not familiar with the lovely, intricate  bread, but the entire table is absolutely perfect, down to my MOTHER'S china!    The devilled eggs, the three-bean salad, the pineapple-upside-down-cake, the sweet potatoes and the GREEN "Pink Salad" lend an air of The Perfect Southern Easter Dinner, almost all of which appeared on our own table this year.     The photo is simply so nostalgia-perfect of all my years in the South, and I thank you for these lovely memories, all captured in one welcoming, beautiful table. 

rachel

• Like 7