• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Arsenic and Old Wine

AlaMoi

surprised this hasn't surfaced here.....

DW informed me my favorite vintner is poisoning me with (up to) 10X the amount of arsenic allowed in drinking water.....

well, it's Beringer Estate whites I like; the Beringer name turned up in the 'poisoned' list, and since the couch is not really _that_ comfy, I opted not to debate the point that, but Dear, all wines are not the same.....

on researching this a bit it turns out some entrepreneurial spirit started a business to arsenic test wines. he files a lawsuit, totally in the blind, and sends out blubs offering his services same day.  (Kevin Hicks, BeverageGrades is the wholesome individual of question.....)

CBS had his tests replicated - not on the same bottles, obviously - but curiously, gosh, nobody could find any results similar to the guy selling his testing services.

anybody die of arsenic poisoning lately?

Edited by AlaMoi (log)

DW informed me my favorite vintner is poisoning me with (up to) 10X the amount of arsenic allowed in drinking water.....

well, it's Beringer Estate whites I like; the Beringer name turned up in the 'poisoned' list, and since the couch is not really _that_ comfy, I opted not to debate the point that, but Dear, all wines are not the same.....

on researching this a bit it turns out some entrepreneurial spirit started a business to arsenic test wines. he files a lawsuit, totally in the blind, and sends out blubs offering his services same day.  (Kevin Hicks, BeverageGrades is the wholesome individual of question.....)

CBS had his tests replicated - not on the same bottles, obviously - but curiously, gosh, nobody could find any results similar to the guy selling his testing services.

Same deal happened with apples a while ago. Crooks!

I believe we began discussing this in the Trader Joe's product topic.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog