• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Chicken Sandwich Topic (merged)

jhlurie

Chicken breast, soft goat cheese, red bell pepper, tomato, red onion, green leaf or romaine lettuce, black olives, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, black pepper, on baguette.

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

My favorite chix sandwhich: finely cut scallion white, cilantro (optional), a drop or 2 of sesame oil, corase salt, black pepper, hellman's mayo, dressed with leftover chix. Serve on whatever bread is your favorite--yumbo!

-GB

• 1 year later...

There is something about chicken sandwiches that make me yawn.

Of course, around here, it is my own fault. Out of laziness and out of the desire to make something that the children will eat without requiring a sales pitch first, there are only several sorts ever made.

Chicken Club. . .(yawn). . .California Chicken Salad in a Pita. . .(ZZzzzzz). . .and finally sometimes I fall into the doldrums of Chicken-Walnut Salad.

Nothing wrong with any of these, really.

But still there remains in my mind an attitude of boredom and sleepiness when I think of chicken sandwiches.

I wonder if anyone here makes a chicken sandwich that can make me change my mind. An exciting chicken sandwich. . .!?

There is something about chicken sandwiches that make me yawn.

I wonder if anyone here makes a chicken sandwich that can make me change my mind. An exciting chicken sandwich. . .!?

I LOVE chicken sandwiches, god help me, and i find them so exciting!

anyhow, here is a chicken sandwich i used to make for my daughter when she was a teenager, and all her friends:

take chicken breasts and smear them with tandoori paste (i like pataks). sear in a pan or broil, but don't over cook. Let cool. (i did this the day before).

Mix half mayo and half light sour cream or greek yogurt, and add a handful of chopped fresh mint.

smear this onto wholewheat bread, place a layer of lettuce, dice the chicken and arrange on top, then smear the second piece of wholegrain bread and close that sandwich up!

also, i like diced grilled (not overcooked) chicken breast with black olive aioli, on a rosemary roll with a handful of arugula, sometimes a few al dente green beans or roasted red/yellow peppers if i'm in the mood.

chicken salad: curry powder as well as a handful of toasted cashews and handful of golden raisins are delicious in chicken salad, dressed with a half mayo half yogurt dressing.

oh oh, its almost time for dinner. and we've no chicken! what am i gonna do? i've got chicken on my mind!

marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Hmmm. Y'all are making it sound sort of sexy, now. :biggrin:

marlene, when I read you on food I feel totally whooshed away by romance.

Amazing!

*Deborah*. . .this "California Chicken Salad" is diced chicken, avocado chunks, red onion slivers, ripe tomato cubes, alfalfa sprouts (and bacon and cheese diced, too, sometimes) tossed in a light vinaigrette, sometimes with julienned romaine added.

I think they named it this so that Easterners would always be reminded of how the avocados would be ripe and not hard, and the tomatoes tasty and not golf-ballish, year-round in the state of California! Sigh. :sad:

:wub:

Carrot Top, you've made my day!

(you know, i actually find chicken salad sexy. i've often wished an editor would hire me to do a book on chicken salad, or even an article.....maybe i'll just do a column on it, and dash my deeply yearned for dreams......).

marlena

Edited by marlena spieler (log)

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

gosh, i didn't realize this thread was so long, or has it just been merged?

i have eaten a sandwich of roast chicken, caper mayo, sliced artichokes and roasted peppers.

and i've also eaten a dandy sandwich of italian breaded chicken cutlet, on a crusty roll, slathered with red pepper and chipotle aioli.

i'm wondering: does banh mi come in chicken? and if it doesn't, why not?

marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Chicken salad: I confess to inheriting my mother's prejudice against raisins and similar sweet elements in otherwise-savory concoctions. So salads with raisins, grapes, apples, etc. have a real high bar to get over with me, and I never put them in ones I make myself. My preference is to keep it real simple--just the chicken, some decent mayonnaise, and some diced onion or sliced scallions--ideally made the day before so that flavors permeate and, if I was using white meat, it's had time to hydrate in the mayo.

Otherwise I too tend to find white chicken meat problematic, whether in a sandwich or otherwise, unless it's been cooked in such a way as to get it maximally moisturized and flavorized. Like teriaki chicken, for instance--as long as the teriaki sauce isn't too sweet (ahh, my mother's influence again) ...

Jack in the Box recently added some rather ambitious (for fast food) ciabatta sandwiches to its menu around here, including what they're calling a Bruschetta Chicken Ciabatta. I thought it actually came out pretty decent--I mean, for something you got in a drive-through. The "bruschetta" part, IIRC, means a mess of chopped tomatoes and etc. piled on top of the allegedly-grilled chicken breast--that, and the lettuce and mayo (I think it was mayo) makes the sandwich a little slide-y and unweildly, but the ciabatta does absorb a bunch of the juices these ingredients generate, and because it's sturdier than a standard hamburger-style bun it helps contain the slide. Admittedly, though, this is yet another chicken breast sandwich in which the breast winds up a relatively-blank canvas to be (hopefully) perked up by all the stuff piled on top of it.