• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sweet and Smoky Hibachi Seasoning by Simply Asia

This is my first post.  A lot of you may not like this, but this seasoning mixture imparts something extra special in a couple fusion dishes I make at home.  It puts my wife in the mood and I would like to know how I can replicate the smokey AND  spicy notes that is in this mixture.  It says "seasonings" on the back.  I feel that it's a secret.  I must figure out a way to replicate this to some extent however.  It tastes like this seasoning that I had on the best barbecued steak I've ever had mixed with something spicy.  It's so good.  Can someone help a guy out?

http://www.simplyasia.com/products/Seasoning-Blends/Sweet-and-Smoky-Hibachi-Seasoning.aspx

A quick Googling reveals an article that states it's a blend of "sea salt, garlic, red pepper, toasted sesame seeds, brown sugar and soy sauce."  I'm sure if you contacted McCormick and asked, they would provide a list of basic ingredients.

P.S.  Make sure you read up on furikake.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.