• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking a Steak From Frozen Per America's Test Kitchen

weinoo

A lot of good fish fillets in cryovac might respond well to this method. I'll try this with hake tonight, removing from the wrap and cooking in pan oil and oven until 135 F is reached.  I wonder if there is a way to add crumbs to the exterior?

Ive taken Fz thick-ish fish  and gotten some color on the down side, flipped, added a breadcrumb/herb/wine coating to the now top and finished in hot oven., even a bit of broiler for some browning on the crumbs

works if you pay attention ....

• Like 1

When I lived west of here there were a couple of ranches that raised beef for sale.  The meat had to be processed at FDA monitored plants and freezing the meat must have been a requirement because that was the only way it was available.  Steaks and roasts from Dodge City and Omaha are also only available frozen.  I have never cooked one from frozen though.  I don't think I'd be tempted to try either.