• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous vide pork roast instead of pork butt: should time/temp change?

TdeV

Pork butts will pull nicely after 48 to 56 hours at 60C/140F and not be mushy. Collagen converts to gelatin roughly twice as fast for every 10C increase in SV cooking temps, so using this as a general guideline your 33hr @ 155F pulled pork will be roughly the same to one cooked for 60 hours at 60C.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

From the university meat market, I just had another one of these "Pork Chef's Prime Roast" which I did (3.5 lbs in 2 bags) at 131F for 4.5 hours. Then finished for a few seconds per side in a hot pan.

I put "Pork Chef's Prime Roast" into egullet search and came up with this post (from 2014), so I'm guessing this cut is something university students have to learn how to do. :wink:

Per @rotuts' instructions, I cut out most of the fat in the middle. I'm supposing my knife skills could be improved; how long would it take you to perform, rotuts?

@TdeV

I havent timed myself.

in doing so , I might hurry , damage my finger tips 

(  I have a very very sharp boning knife  )

and more importantly , not enjoy the knife work as much.

it really is rewarding to do a little knife work from time to time

w the proper tool , as it adds to the feeling.

it can be teasing out chicken or turkey breast tendons ,

it the work you are doing w the Pork.

Id very much like to see some pics of your work and its result .

might inspire me to see what's in mu freezer and sharpen that boning knife .

P.S.:  what was the exact ref in 2014 ?

It didn't come up for me.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Hi @rotuts, I googled "Pork Chef's Prime Roast" (with quotes) which brought me to this which was, in 2014 as well as 5 years later, a complete mystery!

The scraps were given to the birds so no photos this time, but I will try to remember to show you the results of my labours next time.

• Like 1