• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deep Frying Puff Pastry

Stephane

Hallo all!!

I am working in a pie factory. We have a lot of pastry pieces that we need to through away because they are 'dirty'. They contain pieces of meat, spices or what the case may be. I successfully deep fried the bits of pastry and added some spices. What a wonderful snack! I did it a lot when I was a child. You cant stop eating these stuff!! I also packed these bits in bags and heat sealed it. And it is keeping very well. after 3 months, still crunchy right through.

Suddenly, now, every time I am trying to do it, it is still soft and moist inside. This makes it soggy when packed. I've tried to change the temperature of the oil, the time of frying, and pre-prep. Fried it from frozen, from fresh... i can't find the problem! I also still use the same oil as what I started with (sunflower oil)

Can someone please help?

Has the pastry dough recipe or some ingredient in it changed? As an example, maybe they're using a different fat than before.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I know from experience that for me in the area I live that fats vary according to season. I live in AZ. The winter formulas and summer formulas affect how my products turn out in very small ways.

Also the inclusions in the dough (spices, meat, etc) also may change the consistency. There water/fat amounts will affect the product. I make pasties and the scraps that I reuse come out slightly different each time.

Carlton Brooks CEPC, CCE

Has the pastry dough recipe or some ingredient in it changed? As an example, maybe they're using a different fat than before.

Hi Smithy

No, nothing has changed, but as Carltonb is saying, some things may slightly change. Sometimes, there are more pieces of sauce or meat than other times. BUt I've tried it with the fresh mixed and rolled pastry as well. Clueless... ** We use the same fats, and we also use summer/winter formulations. But I have no idea if the first few batches were summer or winter. Currently we use winter formulation. That may be the trick...

Edited by Stephane (log)