• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ramen "Lasagne"

CatPoet

This topic has been split off from another dicsussion, Ramen Burgers.

I showed this to a friend and he said Do you remember my mums Lasagna?  I have  vague  memory of it and it wasnt  lasagna.

She used to take  4 pkt of ramen noodle blocks, dive them in half ( they used to be folded so you could do easily ), then  take out her casserole that fitted four  blocks.   Mix  store bought cheese sauce and stir  in some milk.  Spread  a half cheese sauce on the bottom,  then  four ramen square then pour a tin of  store bought meat sauce on top,  Then a layer of ramen and then last of cheese sauce and some grated cheese on top and bake it ....

Edited by Mjx
Host note added. (log)

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

I showed this to a friend and he said Do you remember my mums Lasagna?  I have  vague  memory of it and it wasnt  lasagna.

She used to take  4 pkt of ramen noodle blocks, dive them in half ( they used to be folded so you could do easily ), then  take out her casserole that fitted four  blocks.   Mix  store bought cheese sauce and stir  in some milk.  Spread  a half cheese sauce on the bottom,  then  four ramen square then pour a tin of  store bought meat sauce on top,  Then a layer of ramen and then last of cheese sauce and some grated cheese on top and bake it ....

That's awesome (in spirit, honestly doesn't sound real tasty though). She was modernist when modernist wasn't cool...

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Maybe it  the stuff hadent been storebought, maybe then  it had been yummy. 

I actually do  ramen brick from time to time.  Easy, care free and well looks like a brick.  It just a  milk , egg, chili sauce, salt pepper poured over a packet of ramen noodles and baked.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

There is no need to look down haughtily on store-bought foodstuffs.  They're fine, so long as one gets the decent ones.  Even the mediocre ones or even the - gasp! - processed stuff like American cheese are savored and desired by top-line chefs and fine dining chefs.

Similarly for ramen packs and instant ramen or "fresh ramen" (but store-bought).  They're fine for what they are.  I enjoy them and make no apologies for devouring them.  Gussy them up with fresh vegetables, meats, eggs, whatnot - and one has a very nice bowl of tasty soupy noodles.  Yes, the seasoning packet included is used too.  There are all sorts of varieties and brands and producers ranging across large swaths of E and SE Asia.  Some of them are very, very good indeed, and better than what one could make at home from scratch in many cases.

So - ramen burgers, etc --- take them for what they are, things to be savored on their own terms.    :smile:  

Wylie Dufresne comment/quote from that NYT article:

Besides, said Wylie Dufresne, the chef at WD-50 in New York: “It’s actually a fuller life to try all that stuff. I would rather not be pious about things.” "

:wink:

But the  tinned meat sauce my  friends mum used  will never be fine dining.

There is no need to look down haughtily on store-bought foodstuffs.

I don't look down haughtily on anything as a whole... but I do reserve the right to not like some things on the individual level.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

This is my friends mum lasagna.  She was interesting cook  and in Sweden we didnt back then have so many ready made mixes, but if there was one she had it in her pantry .Pizza in her world was  scones mix spread over a baking tray, a tin of meat sauce  and grated cheese and  Swedish meatballs came out of a tin.   I have  no memory of this oven every cooking anything from scratch, that might be the reason my friend stayed a lot at our place. Even if my mum wasnt a good cook, she did  things from scratch and we had fresh veggies at the table.

Edited by Mjx
Edit at member request. (log)