• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inventing Indian names for dishes

I'm in the process of creating my 2003 menu for my Indian Takeaway and need some new dishes. All the usual UK takeaway suspects are there, the Bhuna, Dopiaza, Madras, Patia, Karahi etc and a few I made up. One of them I called Lasan which I understand means garlic. Anyway, it turned out to be very popular and I'd like to extend the choices with slight variations on the dish.

Aside from the ginger garlic paste and extra crushed garlic I use in Lasan, I have tried adding some garlic and black pepper butter just as the suace is finished to enrich the end result. It's worked rather well although the garlic flavour is pronounced to say the least. No matter, some customers like that so I'm fine with it. Would it be accurate to call the dish Dolasan? I'm under the impression that Dopiaza just means double onions so would pre-fixing Lasan with Do be accurate?

One of my Indian friends suggested I simply call it Chicken Garlic but I'm not convinced it sounds as attractive as Chicken Dolasan.

......  Would it be accurate to call the dish Dolasan? I'm under the impression that Dopiaza just means double onions so would pre-fixing Lasan with Do be accurate?

One of my Indian friends suggested I simply call it Chicken Garlic but I'm not convinced it sounds as attractive as Chicken Dolasan.

I doubt adding Do as in two will add anything much :smile: Dopiazas were very poular in WB, less so in NewDelhi, I guess Simon can invent a few good names.... :smile:

Describe a few of the dishes and someone might take a shot-at-it.

anil

Downtown Canada?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Downtown Canada?

That should be downtown Canada, eh?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Lahsuni Murgh (murgh meaning chicken)

or Lahsuni Chicken (lahsun/lassan meaning garlic)

I'm going with the Lahsuni suggestion, Suvir. It's distinct enough from Lasan to indicate a difference but similar enough to draw attention to a dish I intend to generate further interest in from those already keen on Lasan. I have the menu set out so each curry dish get's it's own heading then I have a small space to describe the curry.

For example, the current Lasan is set out as follows -

Lasan

Medium hot dish with ground almonds, grond coconut, cream, extra garlic and fresh coriander leaves.

Thank you for your help :smile:

All I need to do now is figure out a way to indicate the similarity of Lahsuni to Lasan but with garlic and black pepper butter...

Edited by A Scottish Chef (log)

Downtown Canada?

Just a wee joke I picked up from Southpark.

Not a joke, I should add, that one particular Canadian customer was impressed with. Can't please everyone, eh?

Oh. Southpark, eh? That's a U.S. show. That's down south there that, eh?

We only get U.S. shows here when the television lines thaw out for two weeks in August. But we're all so busy clubbing baby seals to preserve in bottles for feeding the sled dogs most of us just miss 'em, eh?

Quite comfy you've got it in Scotland. Quite comfy to be watching the telly and all.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

We only get U.S. shows here when the television lines thaw out for two weeks in August. But we're all so busy clubbing baby seals to preserve in bottles for feeding the sled dogs most of us just miss 'em, eh?

:laugh:

I know the feeling. I barely know how I find the time for TV after a hard day hunting haggis in my kilt whilst wildly drunk on whisky with my bagpipes catching in my raucous red hair.

Cliche's, eh? Doncha luv 'em?

All I need to do now is figure out a way to indicate the similarity of Lahsuni to Lasan but with garlic and black pepper butter...

Lahsun/lasan/lassan/lassun are all Hindi words for garlic. They change in pronunciation from region to another and dialect to another.

You can go with lasan, lahsun, lassun or whatever.

Lahusini is the way you would use Lahsun to describe a dish flavored with garlic.

Similarly, Lassuni would be the way you would describe the same dish using lassun (garlic).

And lasani would be the way to describe a dish with lasan.

Was I of any help?

So again, Lahsun, Lasan. Lassan, Lassun are all words that mean garlic. When you use this word to describe a dish you add the "ani" part... So when you add "ani" to lahsun, it become lahsuni. I hope I make some sense. :smile:

If you need help to ensure the words you choose are grammatically accurate, you can feel free to email me and I can give your menu a look over. If that helps, I volunteer my services. All the best to you.