• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipe for Elway's biscuit

gfweb

Elway's Denver airport restaurant had, what are to me, perfect biscuits. I can't find the formula on the net. Anybody have an idea of where I might get it?

I can tell you, from looking at photos online, they are using a real cut-in biscuit, not a drop biscuit. Look for a recipe where you cut butter (real butter) into flour like making pie crust, and then add buttermilk. The recipe in Professional Baking is really very good.  Also, try and taste just the top -some places brush the tops with butter, some with honey-butter, some with egg wash, etc. -That's usually easy to figure out.

Good ingredients are key, try using cake flour. Some all-purpose flour in the North has as much gluten as bread flour, and doesn't make good biscuits.

The other main thing is handling the dough. It needs to be handled gently, and as little as possible with cool hands. I like to give a couple of gentle 'folds' like croissant dough, it creates a layered structure. When cutting, cut straight down, do not twist your cutter, or, if using a knife, do not saw.

• Like 1

Elway's Denver airport restaurant had, what are to me, perfect biscuits. I can't find the formula on the net. Anybody have an idea of where I might get it?

Can you describe the biscuit for us or point us to a photograph of one on the www? I passes through DIA last year and had breakfast at a restaurant that served my eggs with what they called a "biscuit" but turned out to be what I know as an English Muffin. Cannot remember the name of the restaurant though.

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Can you describe the biscuit for us or point us to a photograph of one on the www? I passes through DIA last year and had breakfast at a restaurant that served my eggs with what they called a "biscuit" but turned out to be what I know as an English Muffin. Cannot remember the name of the restaurant though.

No photos on website and www has none that I can find on google. All the images for "elways biscuit" turn out to be from other restaurants.

Description? Palm sized. Light but not a bit crumbly. Served in inadequate numbers

I'm trying to find the image I referred to, I think I found it in an online review. I know it took a long time to find. Now, I am hoping it was a real image, and not for the Denver Biscuit company...

Just in case, here's a quick primer on how to spot a cut-in biscuit vs a drop biscuit.

This article takes you through the process, and the photo with the hand holding the raw biscuit is very informative. That's what the sides look like, raw and cooked. Sometimes, the layers will slide around, which is what happened as they baked that batch. Normally, though, look for cut-out, geometric appearance (hockey puck, usually) and a thick side edge:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/bayarealiving/ci_2842836

Here's a drop biscuit, one of Red Lobster's cheddar biscuits. Note how the texture looks like cake and is even throughout, no layers. It also has a puffy, cloud-like outer appearance with low sloping sides:

http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/assets_c/2013/01/RL%20JIC%20002-thumb-300x224.jpg

• Like 1