• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

typo

This what I'm NOT snacking on. This morning, I was in one of the local government owned department stores in town. It is notoriously expensive, but they have a few things no one else has. I needed some ground ginger powder and it is one of only two places which regularly have it - and it is, by far, the nearest.

ginger powder.jpg

While there, I noticed these.

tyrralls1.jpg

tyrralls2.jpg

"Ooh!" I thought. "I'll have some of those."

Then I noticed the price. 38.80 元 a pack! That is $5.62 USD / £4.62 GBP. A similarly sized packet of Lay's costs around 4元 and Asian brands such as Oishi, from the Philippines, around 3元. The Tyrrells may be better but at 10 times the price, they'd have to be majestic. Which I doubt. They are just fried potato slices!

Classic.jpg

oishi.jpg

So I went with the Lay's.

liuzhou

liuzhou

This what I'm NOT snacking on. This morning, I was in one of the local government owned department stores in town. It is notoriously expensive, but they have a few things no one else has. I needed some ground ginger powder and it is one of only two places which regularly have it - and it is, by far, the nearest.

ginger powder.jpg

tyrralls1.jpg

tyrralls2.jpg

Then I noticed the price. 38.80 元 a pack! That is $5.62 USD / £4.62 GBP. A similarly sized packet of Lay's costs around 4元 and Asian brands such as Oishi, from the Philippines, around 3元. The Tyrrells may better but at 10 times the price, they'd have to be majestic. Which I doubt. They are just fried potato slices!

Classic.jpg

oishi.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

ginger powder.jpg

tyrralls1.jpg

tyrralls2.jpg

Then I noticed the price. 38.80 元 a pack! That is $5.62 USD / £4.62 GBP. A similarly sized packet of Lay's costs around 4元 and Asian brands such as Oishi, from the Philippines, around 3元. The Tyrrells may better but at 10 times the price, they'd have to be majestic. Which I doubt. They are just fried potato slices!

Classic.jpg

oishi.jpg

tyrralls3.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

ginger powder.jpg

tyrralls1.jpg

tyrralls2.jpg

Classic.jpg

oishi.jpg

tyrralls3.jpg