• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Chris Hennes

[Modernist Cuisine] Lentil Salad (p. 5•267–271)

I've previously made this salad but had to cheat on a number of the ingredients. I'd like to try it again with less cheating, but I have a number of questions before I dive in.

First, when making the foie gras cherries, the instructions indicate that you should use a torch to melt to tops of the hemispheres while they are still in the silicone mold. I assume this is a very quick pass? I'm nervous about destroying the mold. Has anyone else tried this and run into problems, or does it work fine?

Next, after dipping the "cherries" you chill them in the refrigerator: what orientation works best for this? Laying on their sides, upright, or upside down with the sticks pressed into foam or something?

The recipe for the foie coating calls for "Amarena cherry syrup": I see many different brands of Amarena cherries packed in syrup. Is that syrup what the recipe is talking about? Any favorite brands?

The sherry gel cubes list "chamomile blossoms" as an ingredient, and the lentils list "chamomile blossoms (fresh)": when I made it last time I used chamomile tea for the gel cubes since without the "(fresh)"  in the ingredient list I assumed dried. Is this correct? The dried blossoms absorbed a lot of the liquid, I had to press on them to extract it and even then the yield was much less than the stated "215g" (which I don't think can be right, based on the ingredient quantities listed).

The lentils also call for black radish: is red radish a reasonable substitute for this? I can't find black ones in the stores here, and can't recall ever having them so I don't know what the taste and texture are like.

What is a "green hazelnut" and any tips for sourcing them?

Finally, I'm looking for a source for food-grade chamomile essential oil: anyone have a supplier?

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)

Radishes:

Red radish would be fine as a substitute; black radish is tougher/woodier and has a bitter, peppery flavour that for me is quite similar. Red would be better than white (daikon) as white is milder.

Guest Caren Palevitz

I've previously made this salad but had to cheat on a number of the ingredients. I'd like to try it again with less cheating, but I have a number of questions before I dive in.

First, when making the foie gras cherries, the instructions indicate that you should use a torch to melt to tops of the hemispheres while they are still in the silicone mold. I assume this is a very quick pass? I'm nervous about destroying the mold. Has anyone else tried this and run into problems, or does it work fine?

Next, after dipping the "cherries" you chill them in the refrigerator: what orientation works best for this? Laying on their sides, upright, or upside down with the sticks pressed into foam or something?

The recipe for the foie coating calls for "Amarena cherry syrup": I see many different brands of Amarena cherries packed in syrup. Is that syrup what the recipe is talking about? Any favorite brands?

The sherry gel cubes list "chamomile blossoms" as an ingredient, and the lentils list "chamomile blossoms (fresh)": when I made it last time I used chamomile tea for the gel cubes since without the "(fresh)"  in the ingredient list I assumed dried. Is this correct? The dried blossoms absorbed a lot of the liquid, I had to press on them to extract it and even then the yield was much less than the stated "215g" (which I don't think can be right, based on the ingredient quantities listed).

The lentils also call for black radish: is red radish a reasonable substitute for this? I can't find black ones in the stores here, and can't recall ever having them so I don't know what the taste and texture are like.

What is a "green hazelnut" and any tips for sourcing them?

Finally, I'm looking for a source for food-grade chamomile essential oil: anyone have a supplier?

Hopefully we have a few answers for you. 

First, a quick pass with a torch should be fine and should not destroy the mold. With regard to the orientation of the "cherries," the sticks should be pressed into the foam. 

Dried blossoms are a good substitute, but our team suggests increasing the water portion by 100%to 100 g if you are going to make the substitution. Make sure to stay within the scaling percent even if you end up with a little more water.

Red radishes are also fine to substitute and the green hazelnuts are actually just young hazelnuts. 

Fabbri is also what we recommend and we actually just source our chamomile essential oil from the supermarket. 

• Similar Content

• By flippant
      I've had the CSO for a number of years now, but have yet to actually bake bread in it.

Reading through the Modernist Bread thread on this forum I see many of you are using the CSO to great effect, which is heartening.

To that end, I would like to know about your experience baking bread in it – what sort of extra equipment you use (pans, cast iron? etc), what breads work the best, any corrections you find yourself making, or anything you feel might be useful to someone else using the CSO.

Thank you!

• By Rho

The space race trickled into kitchens in the 60s and 70s, including one curious tool that's faded away in the years since: the thermal pin, a heat pipe skewer that can halve cooking times for roasts:

Heat pipes are thermal superconductors, transferring heat 500-1000 times more effectively than solid copper (some people in the sous vide thread have discussed copper pins). They're hollow tubes with the air evacuated and a small amount of working fluid, often water. The usable temperature range is limited by the triple point and the critical point, with additional constraints near the edges. Water is effective from 20C-280C /70F-530F, which comfortably spans most cooking temperatures.

Modernist Bread has an excellent section on how bread bakes, including a diagram of the internal heat pipes that develop, summarized here. (click for a good photo!)

Sous-vide solves the overcooking side of the gradient problem, but it's still limited by total heat diffusion time-- doubling the size of a cut quadruples the time needed for the center to reach temperature. Heat pipe pins should make larger cuts practical, or normal cuts cook faster. Here's a graph from "The heat pipe and its potential for enhancing the cooking and cooling of meat joints", showing average temperatures over time for 1kg joints of meat convection baked at 190C/375F for 110 minutes (foil removed for the last 30 minutes):

Thermal pins were sold commercially from 1956 to about 1990. They're listed occasionally for about $20 on ebay. They even made potato baking racks with heat pipes-- though now you can easily par-cook a potato in the microwave and finish it in the oven.

I don't know why production of thermal pins stopped, or what fundamental problems limited their usage. It seems like pans and commercial griddles would be improved by adding heat pipes to spread heat throughout and avoid hot or cold spots. Perhaps roasts fell out of favor as the culture of entertaining shifted away from monolithic centerpieces to smaller, more precisely cooked portions.
    • By philie
      Hey there, i hope to find some help in the wise hands of yours. after some research i am still having some problems concerning glazing:

For a party i would like to make some cubes and rounded savoury cakes and foams out of silicone forms that have a ready bottom and a colour glazing. 
      Somehow i just do not manage to find a steady glazing ( one that does not run ) and is for texture reasons preferably hard or crisp that does not include sugar or syrup.

can you help me or lead my way in a certain direction?

thanks very much!
    • By KennethT
      Is there a discussion in the book about the purpose of adding ascorbic acid?  I just saw the contest #2 in which the recipe called for it.  I'm curious because a woman I know on the internet used to work in a bakery in Vietnam, and said that to get similar results to the banh mi there, you need to add ascorbic acid.  Does it act as a gluten relaxer?  Traditional banh mi have a very tender and crisp crust, and a very light and tender, relatively closed crumb.
    • By Tuber magnatum
      Having experienced the "Edible Balloon" dessert at Alinea, I have been on a quest to try this at home.  Only recently was I able to find purportedly a recipe:
      https://www.buzzfeed.com/raypajar1/these-edible-helium-balloons-are-dessert-from-the-future?utm_term=.ut6r3PnMk#.acGNVWmd6 the video of which is found below.

I tried this and probably no surprise, it failed.  The bubble collapsed / popped with only a little distension.   I wasn't sure if the problem was that a "secret" ingredient (e.g. some kind of surfactant to stabilise the bubble or using a different kind of sugar) was missing.  Or maybe I didn't allow the mix to come to correct temperature etc.  Elsewhere I thought I had read that the original recipe was in effect some kind of taffy.  Has anyone else had success, or do any candy makers /modernist chefs, have suggestions they are willing to share?