• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jim D.

Jim D.

3 hours ago, Kimberlene Brown said:

Hello Jim, Hope you are well? I know this is an old post, however I’ve been trying to search for topics related to balancing of a recipe for truffles. I’ve been reading books but I would like to get some more knowledge on how to balancing a recipe. The links you’ve posted above seem like there might be some info there to help me, however I can’t seem to open any of them. Can you kindly help me please. Thanks 

The ganache spreadsheet to which I referred in the post you mention is available on my website:  https://www.santiagochocolates.com/ganache.html

But I need to add that I have not found that spreadsheet all that useful.  I actually developed my own using dBase software.  There is other software discussed by Kerry Beal on eGullet, but I don't have have a link to that; a Google search on balancing ganache will lead you to other software options.  Chocolate Academy has a (free) video on the subject.  Another option is to sign up for Kalle Jungstedt's course that includes his method of balancing ganaches.  The issue with all such methods is that they depend on the particular ingredients you use.  For instance, the compositions of 60% and 72% dark chocolate are substantially different (especially the amount of cocoa butter each contains).  Another way of dealing with being fairly sure your ganache will be balanced, have a decent shelf life, and also taste good is to use recipes from reputable sources (such as Peter Greweling, Ewald Notter, Jean-Pierre Wybauw, Melissa Coppel, and the aforementioned Kalle Jungstedt). 

Jim D.

Jim D.

3 hours ago, Kimberlene Brown said:

Hello Jim, Hope you are well? I know this is an old post, however I’ve been trying to search for topics related to balancing of a recipe for truffles. I’ve been reading books but I would like to get some more knowledge on how to balancing a recipe. The links you’ve posted above seem like there might be some info there to help me, however I can’t seem to open any of them. Can you kindly help me please. Thanks 

The ganache spreadsheet to which I referred in the post you mention is available on my website:  https://www.santiagochocolates.com/ganache.html

But I need to add that I have not found that spreadsheet all that useful.  I actually developed my own using dBase software.  There is other software discussed by Kerry Beal on eGullet, but I don't have have a link to that; a Google search on balancing ganache will lead you to other software options.  Chocolate Academy has a (free) video on he subject.  Another option is to sign up for Kalle Jungstedt's course that includes his method of balancing ganaches.  The issue with all such methods is that they depend on the particular ingredients you use.  For instance, the compositions of 60% and 72% dark chocolate are substantially different (especially the amount of cocoa butter each contains).  Another way of dealing with being fairly sure your ganache will be balanced, have a decent shelf life, and also taste good is to use recipes from reputable sources (such as Peter Greweling, Ewald Notter, Jean-Pierre Wybauw, Melissa Coppel, and the aforementioned Kalle Jungstedt).