• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine at Home] Banana Cream Pie

Anonymous Modernist 14583

Hi All,

I made the banana cream pie this weekend and tried to follow the recipe exactly.

The crust came out fine, as did the caramelized banana topping. The coffee infused cream came out, but the coffee flavor vastly overpowers the banana purée. The real issue was the pressure cooked banana.

My first attempt led to pure charcoal. On the second attempt, I used 28 min and did not even let it get to 15 psi ever. The result was half charcoal, half reddish bananas. I ultimately just cooked them in a pan, but the flavor was still mild enough it was tough to know if it was banana cream pie or coffee cream. The pressure cooked banana failed entirely, just carbonized them in 2 tries, even with low heat and less time.

I can cut the coffee beans way back, but what is going wrong with the banana?

Thanks, Steve