• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Information on hydrocolloid usage in MC

I've read large chunks of Modernist Cuisine, but I can't claim to have read this behemoth cover-to-cover. So it's entirely possible I've missed the following: is there a section (or sections) on the general properties of hydrocolloids? For example, today I wanted to research agar, and I found all kinds of parametric recipes and an example recipe and information on what concentrations to use to produce soft or firm gels - but nothing along the lines of "agar is good for a, b, and c, but not so good for x, y, and z. If you want to do x or y, maybe try one of these other hydrocolloids. The gels made with agar have this kind of texture, etc, etc.

Thanks!