• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork Ribs - Barbecue

Anonymous Modernist 446

PZ said:

Any experience on pros/cons of spice rubs on ribs before smoking? Wondering if flavors get funky in the sous vide process.

We don't really do that, except for pastrami, and other cured meats. Long cooking with spices often loses their sutleties over time.

I'm also not certain how adding the rub before smoking will affect the texture. But it's a worthy pursuit!

• 1 month later...

I was bringing pork to a potluck, so did an experiment, albeit with pork shoulder a 2 x 2 :

All shoulders hot smoked, 175F for 8 hrs. No brine (I find brine makes meat taste like ... well ... salted meat - I agree w/ McGee on this one)

Variable 1 - Rub / No Rub - using a 1:1:1: 0.5 Sugar: Paprika: Black Pepper : Salt rub applied ~ 1 hr prior to smoking

Variable 2 - SV as recommended in book (3 days) vs. 18 hrs at 175F oven wrapped in foil (my pre-SV process)

I'll grant variable 2 not expected to be dramatic, as it's pseudo-SV

All meat pulled/chopped and remixed with retained uices

Results:

1) The rub did not change texture of meat, for better or worse, or did it appreciably change moisture retention (I weighed meat sans jus after cooking)

2) Cooking process did not effect anything measurably either (you need to make sure the foil isn't leaky)

3) Rub did add flavor, especially to the retained juices. Better or worse is subject to opinion, but no nasty flavors

So, in conclusion, with these variable, spice if you wish or don't, but no negative results. I do like the purity of the smoke-only, but that's just my taste.