• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bourbon Sours for a crowd

Septemberdog61

Don't pour individual drinks into a pitcher, just pour directly into the pitcher and then refrigerate the pitcher. For a bourbon sour, if you plan on serving up, make sure to add about 20% water to the pitcher

I batched a Harlan County for a party awhile back. It wasn't rife with cocktail aficionados, so sweetness wasn't an issue.

For 8 servings, I combined the following in a 1L bottle:

16 oz Buffalo Trace
6 oz Lime Juice
6 oz Marie Brizard Apry
3 oz Simple

I'd pour 4 oz of the mix & shake with ice to order, strain and add a dash of Angostura.

If you want to avoid shaking, put the mix in the freezer until game time. Then, pour into a chilled pitcher with 6 oz of water, stir and serve over large ice cubes.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

I wouldn't squeeze the lemon or lime any more than an hour before you start to serve.

Combined with alcohol, bottled, and refrigerated, there should be no noticeable effect on the citrus over the course of a few hours. Though, I wouldn't put it together the day before.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

I wouldn't squeeze the lemon or lime any more than an hour before you start to serve.

Combined with alcohol, bottled, and refrigerated, there should be no noticeable effect on the citrus over the course of a few hours. Though, I wouldn't put it together the day before.

I was being a bit conservative and assuming that it might be served over a few hours.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.