• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

PetarG

PetarG

So I wish to get better at making pies, specifically the custard pie. I only have a tart pan (removable bottom) and thus pouring in a custard and then putting the entire thing into the oven is a bit tricky, unless I want to add way less custard. I use a 4:2:1 by weight milk (or cream), egg and sugar.

My question is - would pre-cooking the custard (instead of just scalding it) to a creme anglaise consisteny, and then baking help (because then it is more viscous, not going to overflow easily)? Should I then pre-bake the crust more? I will get a wide-edge pie pan ultimately, but I want to hear your experiences.

Pie dough is no problem though, I am okay at that.

PetarG

PetarG

So I wish to get better at making pies, specifically the custard pie. I only have a tart pan (removable bottom) and thus pouring in a custard and then putting the entire thing into the oven is a bit tricky, unless I want to add way less custard. I use a 4:2:1 by weight milk (or cream), egg and sugar.

My question is - would pre-cooking the custard (instead of just scalding it) to a creme anglaise consisteny, and then baking help? Should I then pre-bake the crust more? I will get a wide-edge pie pan ultimately, but I want to hear your experiences.

Pie dough is no problem though, I am okay at that.

PetarG

PetarG

So I wish to git gud at making pies, specifically the custard pie. I only have a tart pan (removable bottom) and thus pouring in a custard and then putting the entire thing into the oven is a bit tricky, unless I want to add way less custard. I use a 4:2:1 by weight mil (or cream), egg and sugar.

My question is - would pre-cooking the custard (instead of just scalding it) to a creme anglaise consisteny, and then baking help? Should I then pre-bake the crust more? I will get a wide-edge pie pan ultimately, but I want to hear your experiences.