• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The state of the market for consumer sous vide equipment

Dave the Cook

I'm not seeing much discussion on the Codlo here - http://www.codlo.com/

Thoughts or has anyone tried it? is the lack of a circulator a game changer?

A simple aquarium pump can be used as a circulator.

I'm not a fan of the Codlo design.

It appears that here in the US the unit will block adjoining outlets.

Unless the unit spins it's only going to work with one outlet orientation.

I think that the Sous Vide Magic is a better option, especially when permanently mounted under a cabinet or the like.

I thought that same thing - functionality could definitely be improved upon.

I wonder how the Codlo/Dorkfood/Sous Vide Magic type devices will hang in the home sous vide marketplace. The the circulators start coming down in price, I would assume these would have to as well to compete.

I guess they are playing ball in a different league when it comes down to it though. I wonder what part of the market these guys will cater to.

if people who enjoy cooking have a basement, they have a chest freezer in that basement.

the vast majority of these people have no idea what's in that freezer, not so much because its hard to organize ( it is ), but

because the stuff in there is Over Run with Freezer Burn. It's pretty much the Modern Basement Plague.

SV with thick enough bags, over comes this. It does not over come the organizational issues.

I know this from Personal Experience.

I look at the Codlo as a pretty but expensive one-sided Ranco controller... My immediate reaction would be to use it on the cold side, for turning a chest freezer into a tightly controlled fridge for aging cheeses and charcuterie or keeping beer fermentations in the temp band you want them at.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Yeah, quite expensive for such use when you can get a Ranco for about $50

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!