• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dahlia Bakery sandwiches

Fish

I love sandwiches. And the Dahlia Bakery is serving some really tasty, interesting ones. I've been doing there for nearly a year now, maybe a couple of times a month, picking up whatever they have. Wow ! I had a turkey sandwich there a few months ago where they used their pork rub on the turkey (which was delicious) and served it with raisins, some kind of aoili and lovely greens on a delicious mini-baguette. Wow. It doesn't hurt that their bread is really tasty, either. If only 1) they had sandwiches available before 11am, so I could get one to take to work and 2) they cost a bit less than $6

Anyone else have good sandwich recommendations ?

- S

I'm not generally crazy about sandwiches. That said, I'll be a broken record and mention Salumi.

There is a coffee place called Arosa on Madison (near where I work on Pill Hill) that has great panini sandwiches. The owner (Hans) also makes really good homemade waffles. They are made with yeast and allowed to rise before being grilled in the waffle iron. Yummy! I first tried his paninis last week, and they were grand. Also on First Hill (on Boren), Otis Cafe has pretty good panini sandwiches. I like Hans' sandwiches better, though.

There is NOWHERE (unless you want to eat at McDonald's or Subway) to get a sandwich for under $6. Even Quizno's inedible horrors are really pricy.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

There is a coffee place called Arosa on Madison (near where I work on Pill Hill) that has great panini sandwiches.  The owner (Hans) also makes really good homemade waffles.  They are made with yeast and allowed to rise before being grilled in the waffle iron.  Yummy!  I first tried his paninis last week, and they were grand.  Also on First Hill (on Boren), Otis Cafe has pretty good panini sandwiches.  I like Hans' sandwiches better, though.

There is NOWHERE (unless you want to eat at McDonald's or Subway) to get a sandwich for under $6.  Even Quizno's inedible horrors are really pricy.

What a coincidence - I know Hans and his wife Ellen. They are members of the Swiss Club and we see each other sometimes at dinner parties and events. I haven't been to his sandwich shop for awhile though. At that time, he told me Tom Skerritt would come in sometimes.

You mentioned Subway in passing, and never having eaten a Subway sandwich before, I'm curious what are they like? Do they taste better than they look? I've never had the courage to try one.

There is a coffee place called Arosa on Madison (near where I work on Pill Hill) that has great panini sandwiches.  The owner (Hans) also makes really good homemade waffles.  They are made with yeast and allowed to rise before being grilled in the waffle iron.  Yummy!  I first tried his paninis last week, and they were grand.  Also on First Hill (on Boren), Otis Cafe has pretty good panini sandwiches.  I like Hans' sandwiches better, though.

There is NOWHERE (unless you want to eat at McDonald's or Subway) to get a sandwich for under $6.  Even Quizno's inedible horrors are really pricy.

What a coincidence - I know Hans and his wife Ellen. They are members of the Swiss Club and we see each other sometimes at dinner parties and events. I haven't been to his sandwich shop for awhile though. At that time, he told me Tom Skerritt would come in sometimes.

You mentioned Subway in passing, and never having eaten a Subway sandwich before, I'm curious what are they like? Do they taste better than they look? I've never had the courage to try one.

They are the height of mediocraty. Mid to low grade meat, semi fresh bland veggies, fresh baked homogeneous bread, crappy condiments.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

What a coincidence - I know Hans and his wife Ellen.  They are members of the Swiss Club and we see each other sometimes at dinner parties and events.  I haven't been to his sandwich shop for awhile though.  At that time, he told me Tom Skerritt would come in sometimes.

You mentioned Subway in passing, and never having eaten a Subway sandwich before, I'm curious what are they like?  Do they taste better than they look?  I've never had the courage to try one.

In case you wanted to stop and try the place, just know that Hans no longer owns the Arosa in Madison Park. He sold it to some other folks because he wanted to retire. Then he decided that he wasn't ready for retirement and opened the Arosa on First Hill.

As for Subway, if you must, get a small, cheap veggie sandwich, but I don't think you'll like it. Squishy and low quality. It's my understanding that there are so many Subway stores because it's the cheapest franchise one can own.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

BH, you will have 'eater's remorse'* if you try a subway sammy.

*eater's remorse: when you immediately regret eating something you just consumed seconds ago. 1) because its crappy, and 2) because you just wasted a meal eating something crappy.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Thanks everyone. I think my curiosity about Subway has been satisfied without me actually having to eat one! I have never been tempted, as just looking at the pictures of them are bad enough. However, I thought since there are so many subway shops around that I might be missing out on something.

For prepared sandwiches on a bollo roll or ficille, I'll sometimes pick up one at Admiral Thriftway, or copy the ingredients and make one at home. ie. proscuitto, provolone, arugula, olive oil on ficelle; or sliced tomato, fresh mozzarella & basil or pesto on bollo, or even just sliced french madrange ham, brie, on baguette. Simple but good. Their hot sandwiches are good, too... sliced roast pork and carmelized onions on bollo, or their hot prime rib sandwich.

I can also recommend Husky Deli in W. Seattle for good sandwiches.

Lately, I've started getting sandwiches at the NY Liberty Deli down on Alki. Their smoked chicken panini w/roasted peppers on foccacia is good, and I also like their Grinders that come with deli meats like salami, ham, peppers, etc. and ask for italian dressing in it (rather than the mustard that normally comes on it).

I also sometimes get a cubano sandwich at Lina's Cocina on Alki.

The place I am most interested in trying, but haven't gotten there yet, is Paseo or something like that. I think col klink has recommended that place, and I've heard other good things about it, too. I'd also love to try the cubano at Mojito cafe (another rec by klink).

Yes, Paseo is quite good.

I've been eating at Subway 3 days a week for the past week, and probably will be for the forseeable future. Why? Because there's one in the Met Park building right next to the 24 hour fitness I've started going to regularly. The perfect well designed corporate combo: mediocre gym + mediocre sandwich. After the gym, I really don't care how good the food is.

I'm also not sure how much I like hoagies in general... growing up in Philadelphia I liked them (never was a big (cheese) steak person), but now I'm not so sure. Philly's Best (23rd and Union) is or was one of the better local places to get a hoagie or steak sandwich, it's got the right vibe too.

heh- Philly's Best is a guilty pleasure of mine. they have seasoned krinkle cut fries :wub: and yes, they are the frozen variety, but for some reason I have a weakness for them. I like their sammys too, usually a half is more than enough for me. the pepper cheese steak, mmmm.

Born Free, Now Expensive

I've never been to Philadelphia Fevre so can't answer that. They have odd hours :-/ I think the general consensus is that P.F. is better, but I'm not sure now since the original owner is gone.

Born Free, Now Expensive

I don't go to either often (and haven't been for a few years), but I like Philly's best better. One time I was in Philly Fevre (before I'd been to the other place), the owner (Renee Lafevre, since retired, and I think the quality went down a little) was complaining that after sponsering some little league team or something similar for years, the team decided to switch over to the other place down the street to ask for shirt sponsorship or something.

What I don't understand is that neither has hot & sweet peppers. Well, maybe hots (pickled cherry peppers), but never sweets (pickled sweet peppers). I wonder if that's still true, Trader Joes sells the perfect substitute for sweets ('marinated red peppers'), but I'm guessing the demand isn't there for the right sandwich condiments. Subway has pepperoncini, which work well as a sub for both.

Edit: I can't think straight today. And I didn't even have much to drink last night.

Edited by mb7o (log)

Just picked up a blackened (lightly) halibut sandwich with cole slaw (fresh and tasty) from the Market Grill in the market, across from Uli's sausage place. For a bit under $9, you can have fresh grilled salmon, halibut, prawns, cod, or chicken in a sandwich or on a plate with rice or salad. There are 8-10 stools at the counter, lots of people watching, and chowder. House made tarter sauce or rosemary mayo too. Starting to rely on this place for one of my weekly fish intakes.

I've never been to Philadelphia Fevre so can't answer that. They have odd hours :-/ I think the general consensus is that P.F. is better, but I'm not sure now since the original owner is gone.

I'm a big fan of Philly Fevre. I didn't go much before the ownership change, but I think the people who run it now do a nice job. My understanding is that they worked there before the change as well. I absolutely love the Chicken Cordon Bleu sandwich they do. Haven't ever tried Philly's Best, so I can't compare.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946