• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheese Storage Question

liuzhou

As I said in my first post I don't want to start important equipment, even if I can.

Sorry that should read "importing" As I said in my first post I don't want to start important equipment, even if I can.as I'm sure you have guessed.

The time allowed to edit round here is way too short.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

By the way the box grater is not what I "prefer". It's what I have. Out here, you have to make do with what you can find, which in many areas of life isn't a lot.

Sorry if I misunderstood. The microplane will deliver a fine, fluffy grate, and I thought you preferred a larger grate. :smile:

Microplane zester/graters are available at a reasonable price on Amazon or in hardware stores. Again, I don't know what's possible where you live.

Sorry if I misunderstood. The microplane will deliver a fine, fluffy grate, and I thought you preferred a larger grate.

Microplane don't only do one kind of grater.

They also do ribbon graters and I'd buy one if they had them here, but they don't. I like the look of this one. They also do a box grater.

The cheap box grater was all I could get and that only after a long hunt. I guess the Chinese aren't big on grating!

Edited by liuzhou (log)

Mark Twain

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

... Washing the cheese in vinegar doesn't appeal either.

Just for the record, in case I wasn't clear: I meant wiping the rind with vinegar, as in a towel soaked with vinegar, followed by blotting with a dry towel, to discourage mold; not to dunk the cheese in a vat of vinegar. Having said that, I'll also note that I still haven't tried it myself.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Hold the front page!

I have this afternoon discovered that Microplane graters are available in China, by mail order. (They weren't the last time I looked, about a year ago.)

A ribbon grater and a zester have both been ordered and are no doubt winging their way towards me right now.

(Doesn't solve the mould problem, though.)

Edited by liuzhou (log)

Mark Twain

The wax paper problem might be solved if you looked for "Kut-Rite" brand. I've also had luck keeping onions in the fridge hhere in hot, humid south Florida by wrapping a cut onion in cling film, then in aluminum foil, and keeping it in the fridge door. Not a suitable idea for a wheel of Parm, but a chunk, maybe. Again, if I find mould on cheese, I've been known to trim it off thoroughly, wash it off with anti-bacterial soap, rinse exceedingly well and wrap as above. HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"