• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help with uses for strawberry-infused tequila

Emily_R

Hi All --

I'm moving long distance and am throwing a big goodbye party on labor day. I've got almost a quart of strawberry-infused tequila that has been sitting in my fridge forever, and I wanted to use it up in some kind of yummy punch. I know that a Paloma would be good with this tequila, but I'd like something that I can premix in a big batch, and I'm worried that grapefruit soda will go flat. I thought maybe some kind of punch with grapefruit juice? But I've never made punch before, and so am looking for some guidance. If you had a quart of strawberry-infused tequila and were holding a big party, what would you do with it?

Many thanks!

Emily

Emily,

You can of course use your strawberry-infused tequila (aka tequila por mi amante) in Palomas as you mentioned, or Margaritas. Make sure you taste it on its own first, as these infusions do not last forever...

For punch, I would try something like this spicy paloma punch by Phil Ward. His bar Mayahuel specializes in tequila and mezcal, plus I've had good luck in the past with his punch recipes. Adjust the amount of jalapeno based on your tolerance for spice.

From the linked article:

Spicy Paloma Punch

Phil Ward, Mayahuel, New York City

24 oz Espolon tequila blanco

6 oz sugar

6 small jalapenos, halved

12 oz fresh grapefruit

9 oz fresh lime

12 oz club soda

Salt

Muddle sugar with jalapeno seeds and tequila. Add juices and shake with ice. Strain into rocks glass. Top with club soda and a pinch of salt.

The tip: "There's no secret to punch. Just make it great."

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/food-for-men/summer-cocktail-recipes-2011-5771206

• Like 1