• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heat Diffuser for Electric Range

Shel_B

The electric range in my new apartment seems to put out quite a bit of heat, and I was wondering if there's a way to even out the heat that gets transferred to the cookware. I've seen diffusers for gas ranges, and on a few sites there seem to be some that are described as working for electric ranges as well.

Are there any that are designed specifically for an electric range? What brands or features should I look for? I'd really like to get my good cookware away from direct contact with the heating elements.

Thanks!

... Shel

I don't understand why you'd want one designed specifically for an electric range. Uneven heat is uneven heat. Be it an electric stove, a gas range (yes gas is uneven too), a charcoal grill, or a campfire.

In my experience, cast iron can't be beat. I use something similar to the following on my beanpots that can't take direct flame.

http://www.amazon.com/Ilsa-7-Inch-Cast-Iron-Diffuser/dp/B000I1WO8C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1377657634&sr=8-2&keywords=stove+heat+diffuser

I don't understand why you'd want one designed specifically for an electric range.

Because I'm ignorant of what's available and appropriate. Gas ranges have a grate over the flame that the cookware sits on, electric ranges don't, and the cookware sits directly on the heating element. It seems to me that difference may require different types of diffusers.

And, not to put too fine a point on it, I didn't say that I want a diffuser specifically for an electric range. I asked if there were any designed specifically for such use. If there are such things, might they not be better than a one-size-fits-all diffuser?

Thanks for the pointer to the item on Amazon.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

"----The electric range in my new apartment seems to put out quite a bit of heat, and I was wondering if there's a way to even out the heat that gets transferred to the cookware. ----"

Can you explain a little more? I am not sure what is that you want. Too much heat and uneven heating are two different situations.

dcarch

Odd you should ask, I just found a solution to a similar problem.

In my pastry corner at work I have an el-cheapo hardware store two burner cooker. I use this daily to produce a 2 kg batch of caramel. Milk boils, the pot boils over, the element and dish get full of caramel, and I get a big mess. Usually the burner lasts me 6 mths before it gets so grotty or burns out and needs to be replaced with another hardware store burner. Two weeks ago I finally got a 220 v commercial solid element cooktop. Powerfull sucker, no matter how low a setting I use, milk boils over, and the caramel cooks so fast I don't get much colour or flavour when it cooks so fast.

The pot I use is always the same, an Ikea 6 qt "365" cheap s/s pot with a "sandwich" bottom, recipe is always the same, straight out of Grewling's "Chocolates and confections".

In desparation I tossed a really cheap wire cooling rack on top of the solid burner element, put my pot ontop of that, and set it on the lowest setting. Works well. Milk won't boil over, I get decent colouring and flavouring, and the process takes me 90 minutes instead of 3 hrs. Wire rack was from a dollar store I think, don't know what guage, but the wire is almost the same diameter as raw spaghetti

I don't know if they are still made, but there used to be a gadget called a Flame Tamer. Ithad a perforated plate that went on top of the burner, with a high lid that fit over it to make a stovetop oven for baking potatoes, reheating rolls, etc. Generally I could find them at country stores, non-chain hardware stores, five and tens and the like. Handy little gadgets, and cheap, too!

ETA:

AHA! Go to the webstaurantstore.com; they appear to not have the lid anymore, but for less than 4.00, what the hell!

Edited by judiu (log)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"