• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

LA Chinese Restaurants

eatingwitheddie

[...]We had really good dimsum in a surprising place--a restaurant in Irvine that looks like it's a converted TGIFriday's. It's <A HREF="www.russellsseafoodpalace.com">Russell's Seafood Palace</A> 1818 Main Street in Irvine.[...]

That link isn't working.

That's odd; it didn't quote properly, either.

Michael aka "Pan"

[...]We had really good dimsum in a surprising place--a restaurant in Irvine that looks like it's a converted TGIFriday's. It's <A HREF="www.russellsseafoodpalace.com">Russell's Seafood Palace</A> 1818 Main Street in Irvine.[...]

That link isn't working.

That's odd; it didn't quote properly, either.

Urk. That's what I get for hand coding my html...

Seems to work now!

You gonna eat that?

We had really good dimsum in a surprising place--a restaurant in Irvine that looks like it's a converted TGIFriday's. It's <A HREF="http://www.russellsseafoodpalace.com">Russell's Seafood Palace</A> 1818 Main Street in Irvine.  We had an excellent dan tat (I'm not really a fan, but this was tasty) and delicious jook with preserved egg.

Wow... I think this restaurant is new. I worked in Irvine for years and years and did not notice this name. The location used to be another restaurant... not TGIFridays's but something else... can't remember the name now. They are next to a MacDonald's, right?

May be I will try it next time I go down.

Did you go to Sam Woo Seafood or BBQ (Culver and Irvine Center Drive). Especially Sam Woo Seafood. Excellent service, great food, reasonable price.

And there are plenty of good Chinese eateries at Walnut Ave X Jeffery Road.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Wow... I think this restaurant is new.  I worked in Irvine for years and years and did not notice this name.  The location used to be another restaurant...  not TGIFridays's but something else... can't remember the name now.  They are next to a MacDonald's, right? 

Yeah, their business card notes "Next to McDonald's" right under the address. They seem very new.

We didn't go to Sam Woo. We really wanted to, but time was limited. And thanks for the mention of the other places to try--we were only there for a few days and want to go back, if only to eat!

You gonna eat that?

We didn't go to Sam Woo. We really wanted to, but time was limited. And thanks for the mention of the other places to try--we were only there for a few days and want to go back, if only to eat!

Besides Chinese food, save your stomach for some great Vietnamese food while you are down there. Little Saigon (Garden Grove) is only about 10 minutes away along the 405. Exit Brookhurst from 405. Go North. Make a left turn on Bolsa. Along Bolsa between Brookhurst and Magnolia, there are many many Vietnamese eateries and snack shops. My favorite is called "My Nguyen" (I think). It's a Vietnamese restaurant on Brookhurst between Bolsa and Westminster (on the East side of Brookhurst).

Best:

Thit Nuong (charboiled pork slices), wrapped with rice paper

Chao Tom (shrimp paste with sugar cane)

Pho Tai (rice noodle soup with raw beef)

Vietnamese egg rolls (fried), wrapped with lettuce

In the next mall to My Nguygen (southward), there is a snack shop in the middle of that mall (sorry can't remember the name). They sell many varieties of dried fruits, jerkies, candies, etc..

They have the best Vietnamese hot beef jerky, shredded squid and dried fish with sesame!

At this rate I will have to move to LA!

the Los Angeles basin is a huge area! Good Chinese restaurants typically cluster around high-Chinese-immigrant-population areas. The following areas are the ones that I know:

Irvine (said before)

Cerritos/Artesia

Torrance

China Town (Los Angeles Downtown)

Alhambra/Monterey Park/San Gabriel/Rosemead/El Monte (of course)

Hicienda Height/Diamond Bar

• 3 weeks later...

I want to post this link titled MOE in LA: Chinese Dinner that's in the California forum.

The Chinese dinner is going to be held at the Empress Pavilion on Sun. 28 Aug. at 5:00 p.m. Details when you click on the link.

Mon Kee restaurant is still being renovated. I can see inside through the windows. The interior looks WAY BETTER (and cleaner) than what it was before. I'll try and find out when Mon Kee will re-open.

the Los Angeles basin is a huge area! Good Chinese restaurants typically cluster around high-Chinese-immigrant-population areas. The following areas are the ones that I know:

Irvine (said before)

Cerritos/Artesia

Torrance

China Town (Los Angeles Downtown)

Alhambra/Monterey Park/San Gabriel/Rosemead/El Monte (of course)

Hicienda Height/Diamond Bar

Arcadia: Din Tai Fung is located there

San Fernando Valley: There's a Sam Woo Restaurant & Ranch 99 Market on the NE corner of Sepulveda Blvd. & Victory. A&W BBQ on the south side of San Fernando Mission, east of Balboa Blvd., nearby Trader Joe's. A few Chinese restaurants along Reseda Blvd., near the CSU Northridge campus.

At this rate I will have to move to LA!

yakiniku, we'll be waiting for your arrival into LA ... :wink:

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Will be in LA/SF in Dec. This thread will be useful, especially for those in my party who will die without chinese food (must be authentic, though) for more than 2 days.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Will be in LA/SF in Dec. This thread will be useful, especially for those in my party who will die without chinese food (must be authentic, though) for more than 2 days.

Will they die without the fix for boba tea too? :raz:

The Chinese communities are kind of scattered in Los Angeles. The San Gabriel Valley stretch is the main area. That's a bit far driving from Disneyland. The closer ones would be in Cerritos (Highway 91, exit Pioneer Blvd, go south. Pioneer Blvd crossing South Street, main cluster. Or along Pioneer Blvd between South Street and Artesia Blvd). I like to go to "Luk Yu" (I think... may be wrong). Right at the junction of Pioneer and South St.

And Little Saigon offers many great Vietnamese and good Chinese restaurants. As stated in ealier postings. I-405 exit Brookhurst go north. They are on Brookhurst or Bolsa between Brookhurst and Magnolia. Some are around Westminster Ave.

There is another cluster in Irvine. That's from Disneyland on the way south. I-5 exit Jefferey Road. Right off the freeway, make a right turn into Walnut Ave. The restaurants are all there. My favorite is Sam Woo. There is another Sam Woo (even better) on Culver. Exit Culver from I-5 head south. About 2 miles. When Culver meets Irvine Center Drive, it's on your right. They have Sam Woo Seafood and Sam Woo BBQ. Both great.

There is no known good Chinese food in Oceanside or Carlsbad or any of the coastal cities south of San Clemente. The next major Chinese restaurant clusters would be San Diego. They cluster around Convoy. Take I-5 south. It splits into I-5 and I-805. Take 805 south. About 5 miles south from the split, exit Clairemont Mesa Blvd, go East. About 1 mile down, cross Convoy Street. Right turn on Convoy Street. The restaurants are along Convoy between Claremont Mesa Blvd and Balboa Ave. May be a bit south of Balboa too now.

There are some good Vietnamese restaurants in San Diego too. They are along El Cajun Blvd and University Ave. 805 exit University I think. But the stretch along University is not a very good neighborhood, so be careful if you go there. Convoy is nicer.

There is one trick that may work for you in finding good Chinese restaurants around Southern or Northern CA. There is a 99Ranch Grocery Market chain in the USA. They are doing really well. There are probably 30 of their outlets now all around California (to as far as Washington and Phoenix). Take a look at their location list. Look at their maps and see if you may pass by them during your trips. These markets are usually anchor stores to the shopping malls that are full of Chinese shops and restaurants. Most of these restaurants are geared towards Chinese immigrant patrons, and are typically pretty good.

Here is the list:

http://www.99ranch.com/StoreLocator.asp?Store=All

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

• 2 weeks later...
Have a look at my report on CBS Seafood Restaurant in Downtown LA. Great dim sum!

If you are a fan of restaurants named after the TV networks, you may want to try out NBC:

NBC Restaurant, Monterey Park, CA

NBC also serves dim sum. I had been there in the 80's, and it was the only game in town at the time (Monterey Park, just a 10 minutes drive from Downtown LA along I-10), with a 30-60 minute waiting list. Haven't been there for over 10 years, not sure what it has become. But the eateries in this vincinity are very authentic and competitive. Harbor Village used to be on Atlantic X Garvey, another good dim sum place. But I heard that they had changed hands...

Where are the ABC and FOX?

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

Recently, there was a MOE in LA: Chinese Dinner over at Empress Pavilion. The thread is now complete with a report & photos of the nine-course Cantonese meal.

Where are the ABC and FOX?

I don't know about FOX, but ABC is on the NE corner of Ord & New High St., one block away of CBS.

• 2 months later...

I really like this small eatery "Sam Woo BBQ Seafood Restaurant" in Cerritos, California (Los Angeles area). Food is great. Price is reasonable. Just found their online page:

http://asianbizguide.com/website/s-z/s/samwoo/samwoo.htm

I am not sure if they are under the same ownership as the Sam Woo BBQ and Seafood Restaurants in Irvine (Culver and Irvine Center Drive). Their logos look very similar. Or is this one in Cerritos used to be called "Luk Yu"?

i wouldn't mind if you could detail your dining experience at triumphal palace. personally, i was amazed that irene gave that place three stars, and for a chinese restaurant!! was the service that phenomenal? how would you compare it with new concept?

what kind of changes, russ? are they due to finances? competition?

gosh, not using capital letters makes me feel like e.e. cummings...

• 3 months later...

Last Friday night, several of my Caucasian friends and I went to NBC Seafood Restaurant on Atlantic Blvd. in Monterey Park. The menu is definitely Cantonese: the dishes were not spicy at all. The items I ordered are not that exotic. Notice I didn't order anything from the fish & seafood tank (a bit cost-prohibitive on this occasion). And one of the restaurant's best features besides the food is their free parking lot (no parking garage). I would definitely go back and order something from the tank. Here are a few photos from the dinner (I forgot to take a picture of the pork chops with special sauce):

gallery_24802_2554_19034.jpg

Winter melon soup

gallery_24802_2554_32520.jpg

Shrimp with honey walnut (Yes, it's a bit Americanized)

gallery_24802_2554_48616.jpg

Vegetable deluxe

gallery_24802_2554_16672.jpg

Rock cod fillet with vegetables

gallery_24802_2554_34748.jpg

Sizzling beef plate (pardon the smoke)

gallery_24802_2554_59891.jpg

Chinese broccoli

gallery_24802_2554_12170.jpg

Braised duck with vegetables

gallery_24802_2554_12694.jpg

Whole crispy chicken (at this point, half the chicken)

Ben Hong, no problem. Mind you, it is said, "If you have to ask how much, you can't afford it." :raz:

The soup was $7.50 (USD, of course).

Shrimp with honey walnuts, $14.50

Vegetable deluxe, $9.00

Rock Cod fillet with vegetables, $9.50

Sizzling beef plate, $12.00

Chinese broccoli, $8.00

Braised duck with vegetables, $19.00

Whole crispy chicken, $18.00

Pork chops with special sauce, $9.25

A fish from the tank was about $22.00/lb.

Sliced abalone with vegetables, $35.00

For the eight of us, we each paid $20, which covered the meal, CA state sales tax (8.25% in LA County), tip, and everything.

To me, these are affordable prices. Mind you, NBC Seafood is located in Monterey Park, where there's more competition than in downtown LA's Chinatown.

That's on par with what we pay here, and that's in Canadian $s, in Winnipeg, a smaller than Toronto and less exotic locale than Malaysia, on the Canadian prairies! :raz::laugh:

I'm curious about the covering on the shrimp. Is that a white/cream sauce?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com