• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lighter Weight All-Clad

Shel_B

I've got a set of Calphalon non-stick (the predecessor to the set rotuts linked to above) that's seven or eight years old. They've gotten at least weekly use, and they've never been washed outside of a dishwasher. They're still in fine shape, except for a bit of chalkiness on the exterior (which concerns me not in the least).

You let non-stick cookware cool before washing because it's usually made of un-clad aluminum, and thus prone to warping from rapid temperature changes. PTFE (aka Teflon) as employed these days is extremely durable. If you learned how to treat it back in the 60s and 70s, your training is out of date.

Calphalon has a line called Unison which, IIRC, are touted as being dishwasher safe.

Is Teflon still used in all nonstick cookware? Is it correct that some nonstick cookware don't use Teflon and use other materials instead? Does anyone know for sure what materials are used for All Clad and Calphalon, or other brands?

... Shel

I've got a set of Calphalon non-stick (the predecessor to the set rotuts linked to above) that's seven or eight years old. They've gotten at least weekly use, and they've never been washed outside of a dishwasher. They're still in fine shape, except for a bit of chalkiness on the exterior (which concerns me not in the least).

You let non-stick cookware cool before washing because it's usually made of un-clad aluminum, and thus prone to warping from rapid temperature changes. PTFE (aka Teflon) as employed these days is extremely durable. If you learned how to treat it back in the 60s and 70s, your training is out of date.

Calphalon has a line called Unison which, IIRC, are touted as being dishwasher safe.

Is Teflon still used in all nonstick cookware? Is it correct that some nonstick cookware don't use Teflon and use other materials instead? Does anyone know for sure what materials are used for All Clad and Calphalon, or other brands?

Vollrath Pro-HG uses a titanium and ceramic non-stick system. If you remove the heat-guards from the handles they go into the oven quite nicely. Although they tout their 25 year guarantee I will be lucky to get 12-15 years out of the saute' pans. Of course, I do run them through my dishwasher.

We bought the Pro-HG cookware because 1) it is NSF registered, and 2) it tolerates high-temperature cooking better than teflon and I am a high-heat kind of guy.

I do own and use SS cookware as well, I just mostly prefer my non-stick for everyday cooking.

edited to add 3rd paragraph.

Edited by Porthos (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;