• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Cold Soup with that Sandwich?

rotuts

its hot here. really hot.

I have very nice SV meats in the refrig and freezer, beef, turkey, chicken etc

I have home-made bread ( its from a machine, but better than i can buy -- for sandwiches ) some nice tomatoes, lettuce, may etc etc

I thought id add a cold soup: potato - leek came to mind then consomme, after that, really didnt think of much else.

if the soup were seasoned well for its temp most might work if it wasn't a fatty soup.

your ideas?

Edited by rotuts (log)

I have a recipe for fresh pea and garlic gazpacho ... let me know if you're interested.

Also, an old recipe for chilled, grilled tomato soup from "The Thrill of the Grill."

ETA: And while I've not tried it yet, I've come across several recipes for strawberry gazpacho, some of which look very inviting.

Also, 12 cold soup recipes from the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/06/03/magazine/cold-soups.html?_r=0

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

chilled, grilled tomato soup from "The Thrill of the Grill."

if this soup had grilled whole baby calamari ion it: :biggrin::biggrin: Ive had it at his restaurant in Cambridge. Twice :raz::biggrin::biggrin:

it was to die for: the char on both the calamari and tomatoes made this.

CS really knows what he's doing

chilled, grilled tomato soup from "The Thrill of the Grill."

if this soup had grilled whole baby calamari ion it: :biggrin::biggrin: Ive had it at his restaurant in Cambridge. Twice :raz::biggrin::biggrin:

it was to die for: the char on both the calamari and tomatoes made this.

CS really knows what he's doing

No, that's not the one, although it does sound most interesting. And yes, CS knows what he's doing.

... Shel

make the tomato soup that on pp 29-30

add small grilled calamari pp 110 - 111, and pp 107

thats it.

Id like to swear there is a picture of this soup in one of his books. but i can find it.

Edited by rotuts (log)

This is, in my opinion, one of the very best threads eGullet has produced:

Cold Summer Soups http://forums.egullet.org/topic/22754-cold-summer-soups-sweet-or-savory/

Here's a recipe I posted in it:

Cold Cherry Soup

3 large, or 4 small cantaloupes
4 cups water
1 orange, cut into quarters
4 cloves
1 stick cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
3-1/4 cups cherry pie filling, very cold
1 cup dry sherry
1 pt. whipping cream, whipped

Half the cantaloupes. Scoop out the seeds and enough of the pulp to make a one-serving sized bowl. Set the pulp aside for another use. Slice a very small sliver from the bottom of the "bowl" just enough that it will sit upright. Be careful not to slice off too much, or the eater will poke a hole in the bottom as they eat, and that makes a mess. Wrap the cantaloupe bowls in foil or plastic wrap and chill until ready for use.

Prepare the soup....

In a saucepan, bring the water, orange, cloves, cinnamon and sugar to a boil. Cook 5 minutes, then strain; cool in refrigerator for several hours.

Before serving, add cherry pie filling, dry sherry and mix well. Carefully fold in whipped cream. Ladle into cantaloupe bowls and serve. Can garnish with one cherry, or mint leaves.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.