• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suggestions for an elegant picnic

ElainaA

What would you make/pack for an elegant picnic for two? Each summer my husband and I spend a day at Eurocar, a show of European, mostly vintage, sports cars. I like to take a picnic lunch appropriate for the setting. (Last year we were next to a 1940's Aston-Martin.) Last year was pate with accompaniments and a mesclun salad. And champagne. I would love some suggestions for this year.

Elaina

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

I have been to a few of those car club picnics. I first owned an Italian car and now a German car - I have noticed that the owners tend to bring culturally appropriate food! If you are going to be hanging out with owners of Astons, may I suggest cucumber sandwiches, a galantine of chicken, pork pies, salad, scones with cream and strawberry jam, and washed down with Pimms?

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

@ Keith_W: I like your menu but unfortunately we are showing a porsche. And sausage, sauerkraut and potatoes doesn't make a picnic for me! I'm willing to be culturally eclectic.

Elaina

ElainaA, don't give up on a Porsche-suitable menu.

How about...Open face sandwiches of thinly sliced roast pork loin on rye bread with spicy German mustard, sides of sweet and sour red cabbage, potato salad with fresh dill, and cucumber salad. In the glass, an off-dry riesling or gewurztraminer. For dessert, Black Forest cake, or if you want to be punny, "German" chocolate cake, whose name derives from American chocolate maker named German, not the national origin.

For the cucumber salad, I mean something like this:
http://www.acouplecooks.com/2011/07/german-cucumber-salad-gurkensalat/

have fun!

--shrimp remoulade or chilled crab louis served on butter lettuce leaves, cheddar biscuits, strawberry shortcakes, lemonade or herbal iced tea

--spring rolls, vietnamese chilled noodle bowls (bun) topped with chargrilled chicken or pork, goi ga (chicken & cabbage & herbs) salad, viet-style iced coffee w/condensed milk

Nice ideas. The cucumber salad is a winner. Maybe with the open-faced sandwiches but perhaps smoked salmon rather than pork loin. But shrimp remoulade sounds so lovely (with avocado?)..... and strawberries are just in season here.

I'm thinking a gruner veltliner to drink - with some seltzer to make a g'spritzer. We will have about a two hour drive home, so not too much alcohol. (I do know that gruner veltliner is Austrian not German but I like it and I don't think the car will mind.)

We have several excellent threads here on eG regarding picnics. Not all are "elegant," of course, but are still full of terrific ideas. I'd suggest you do a search and a quick once-over.

As for me, my favorite picnic item is a cold soup in a thermos. If you don't want to schlep china along, you can pour the soup into those little clear plastic glasses that people often use for wine. Or, if you're being more elegant than that, you can serve it in china teacups. Or even, if you have a spicy, full-flavored soup, shot glasses. I know gazpacho isn't German, but I've had particularly good luck with serving that. So cool, crunchy and refreshing, particularly on a hot day. Also the Mexican-style shrimp cocktail, which is soupy. You can have plastic spoons, or silver. If you have a smooth soup like borscht, or a cream soup - asparagus, avocado, shrimp, etc., you don't need spoons. Just have them sip it while you prepare the rest of the meal.

You can also take a hot soup in a thermos of course - perhaps a German "suppen" like potato or sauerkraut.

I guess my main point is not to discount soup as a picnic first course. It's easy to take in a thermos. And it's easy to serve. And it always seems to be something of a surprise for your guests, and very much appreciated and enjoyed.

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

For drinks, I see white wine and champagne mentioned. Ubiquitous because they're so good. But I also like to tuck in a small bottle of creme de cassis to make a kir, or a kir royale.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

All those menus sound like what I would suggest. Incidentally, I have a Porsche too. At the last club picnic I just brought along boring sandwiches. Some of the other guys had more elaborate menus. I did make sure I had Wagner's Die Fliegende Hollander blaring out my car stereo though! I didn't go so far as dress up in Lederhosen ... that might be something to save for the next picnic.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

What would you make/pack for an elegant picnic for two?

Start here ;-)

(and there are many more choices - I'm guessing you're a lady, but would a Gentleman's hamper be more appropriate for a car show?)