• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Substitute for King Arthur Multipurpose Gluten-Free Flour Blend?

Mjx

This week I'm supposed to be testing a coffee cake recipe that specifically calls for King Arthur's "Multipurpose Gluten-Free Flour Blend", the catch being that it is apparently unavailable in Denmark, where I happen to be.

If I order it online I'm going to get slaughtered on the shipping, and it would take a while to get here.

So: Has anyone had any success cobbling together something that is very close to this in composition? I'm open to suggestions for EU brands that are very similar, but I haven't seen anything that looks close, so approximating it myself seems the way to go.

Thanks,

M.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Looks like it's a blend of white and brown rice flours, with tapioca starch and potato starch. You could try blending from those ingredients - the general rule is 40% whole grain (heavy) flours to 60% white (lighter) flours or starches.

I have no idea what's available to you in Denmark - you'll probably end up with work-arounds.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

if it's any help, the blend I use for one of my GF breads is:

64% white rice flour

16% potato flour

9% tapicoa flour

9% cornflour

2% xanthan gum

HTH

Chris

Thanks! How's the consistency of what you get from that blend? Any gumminess problems?

EAT Damn. I can't actually use this in this particular project, after all. Momentarily forgot about that.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

From Ideas in Food...

Version 1: http://blog.ideasinfood.com/ideas_in_food/2012/02/what-iif-flour.html

Version 2: http://blog.ideasinfood.com/ideas_in_food/2012/03/batch-2-flour.html

"Our original gluten free What Iif Flour works like all purpose flour for baking and as a thickener in sauces. The only catch is that it has both corn starch and xanthan gum. These corn products have come under close scrutiny due the prevalence of corn allergies and intolerances. To solve this problem we went back to the drawing board and came up with Batch 2 Flour. It uses the original flour blend as a model. We replaced the cornstarch with a blend of arrowroot and sorghum flour, which adds a nice nutty flavor. Instead of xanthan gum we use guar gum."

I've tried version 1 with great success. I haven't played with version 2 yet but I plan to. I don't have issues with gluten or corn allergies but it's nice to have tools available in case I need them.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.