• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Prime T-Bone, how would you cook it?

OliverB

I bought two frame worthy prime t-bone steaks at Costco, cut a good 1.5 inch thick. Can't decide how to cook them. I won't cook them at the same time, will probably try two ways:

SV then sear, but given the nice fat I'm thinking of letting it cool down quite a bit before searing, I want a nice crust and melted fat, but no grey.

Sear one side in a very hot cast iron pan, flip and stick into a very low oven, take out at 127F or so internal.

I'd also be tempted to heat up my BGE to 600+ degree with the cast iron grill, but never grilled such a thick piece with bone in, I'd probably grill, flip, flip again (turn to get x grill marks) and flip again, but am doubtful that this will heat through.

I cook a lot of steak, but this is actually the first time I am cooking t-bone, they were just sooooo pretty :-)

What's your favorite way to cook this cut, given the thickness?

Thanks for any suggestions!

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

I would separate the strip steak and tenderloin portions (tenderloin can be cooked rarer, I would make a tartare from it). My favorite way to cook steaks (olive oil poached):

• Heat a thin film of canola oil on a cast iron skillet until almost smoking
  • Add a clove of crushed garlic, a few sprigs of fresh thyme, a sprig of fresh rosemary and cook until fragrant
  • Add the steak and sear on both sides briefly
  • Remove from heat, add contents of skillet to a sous vide bag
  • Add a few peppercorns and olive oil to the bag and seal
  • Cook sous vide for w/e time temperature most appropriate for the cut
  • Finish with another sear / torch to crisp the outside

For a steak like that I stick with the grill. I get the fire very hot but banked to the side of my kettle grill. I sear, turn, flip, turn and then move it to the cooler side of the grill. I turn it so the strip portion is nearest the fire so the tender doesn't get hammered and pull when at the temp I'm going for.

I only season good meat with salt and pepper.

both good ideas, thanks! Maybe I'll make it on the Weber with the two level fire. I like the spice mix in B's post too though, sounds very tasty!
Usually I do just s&p, but I might try that mix on one of them.

- Thomas Keller

I've tried that with the egg, but it keeps high temp so (too?) well I think. Do you have one? Getting it to cool is the only thing I'm struggling with, especially if it's been going on full blast.

I've taken meat off and let it rest for a while and let the egg cool down during that time, then put the meat back in until it reaches desired temp. Must experiment more, but with cheaper meat :-D

- Thomas Keller

For a thick cut of steak I prefer SV then sear myself.

BTW, a T-bone steak should never be cooked on a pan. The reason - as the meat cooks, it contracts. Because it is attached to the bone, the meat actually lifts itself off the pan. The result is uneven browning. If you want a nice, even browned T-bone steak, the best way to do it is on the grill. Or with a blowtorch, but personally I prefer the grill. After the SV step, make sure the fire is roaring hot. There is a delicate balance when it comes to flames - too little and you get less flavour, too much and it tastes burnt. When I cook my steak on the grill, I tend to flip it often and move it around the grill to avoid flare-ups.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

This is definitely something I'd use Adam Perry Lang's clinching method on. I have no idea why it's called clinching.

Basically, it's putting the steak directly on the coals. Natural hardwood lump, of course. A few minutes directly on the coals, and then put the steaks on the grate and gradually back away from the fire. You'll probably get charcoal stuck to your steaks, but you can pluck it off with tongs. And there won't be flare ups since the meat is on the coals - there isn't enough oxygen between the meat and the coals. But depending on the fat content, there will be lots of smoke.

Your life will be incomplete if you do not try this with pork chops. Or lamb chops.

I've tried that with the egg, but it keeps high temp so (too?) well I think. Do you have one? Getting it to cool is the only thing I'm struggling with, especially if it's been going on full blast.

I've taken meat off and let it rest for a while and let the egg cool down during that time, then put the meat back in until it reaches desired temp. Must experiment more, but with cheaper meat :-D

I do have an egg. I find if I cook a steak at really high temp then shut it done completly it will drop,to 375 to 400 right away. If you want it lower then that your pull and hold method works fine. You are correct that once the egg gets hot it tends to stay so. It is easier to regulate the temps going up then down