• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Back to the Basics: Salt

Lawless Cooks

My favorite is Murray River Pink Flaked Salt, the soft-hearted peachy-pink colored salt from Australia's great Murray River Basin. Extracted from underground ancient brines containing sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron it also contains carotene secreted by saline algae which results in its colour which varies from pink to light apricot. This subterranean brine is a unique dinosaur age relic, millions of years old, which yields a large mild flake which melts instantly on the tongue due to its complex shape.It is a 3D hollow-stepped-tetragonal-pyramid crystal and for anyone who has read Masaru Emoto's book, The secret life of water, it doesn't get much better than this. It has multiple Australian Awards and two International awards to prove it is world class.

I had a supply of this in the past and each time I pulled the packet out I found myself just sifting through the crystals and admiring their shape.

I'd recommend them for adding a final touch to a dish. Their large shape but hollow structure allows them to be a noticeable decorative and slightly textural element without over-salting a dish. No use for them when dissolved though. Just use regular NaCl.