• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salt content in Red Boat fish sauce.

rotuts

of course, Im the last one to figure it out: Red Boat makes (at least) three fish sauce(s).

40 N 50 N and Blis.

the sodium in 40 N is 1490 / Tbls

but could not find out about the other two.

also somewhere on their web page the is a FAQ that says that the crystals that might form on the bottom of (at least) the 40N are precipitated sea salt.

does that mean the liquid supernate is at the full saturation point?

many thanks

Edited by rotuts (log)

this may be close or way off as i havent done these calulations in a long time:

1650 Na mg / Tbs is about the saturation point. N.B this may be close or way off and already Ive got a head ache!

so with a little evaporation, you have a saturated solution of NaCl.

Holy Bloodpressure!

Edited by rotuts (log)

FWIW, a fully saturated salt solution contains 26.395% of salt.

~Martin

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Blis had to be 1 Tbs. still waiting to figure out ( for no particular reason ) what the saturation for Na is in mg/T

perhaps the increased saltiness comes from the evaporation to get that barrel flavor in it.

hopeful someone has some 50 N

looking forward to your report on that C.S.

which would be what mg (Na) / Tbs?

just curious here

If salt is 393mg of sodium per gram, that equates to approximately 1534mg of sodium per tablespoon of a saturated salt solution.

~Martin

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!