• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for suggestions for cocktails from available ingredients!

Yuri Asx

Well if you don't want to buy any new spirit you could make a house margarita?

This is my favorite recipe I've come up with for one.

2 oz tequila

1 oz orange juice

1 oz lime juice

1/2 oz lemon juice

1 oz simple syrup

1/2 triple sec (if it's cheap triple sec...use it sparingly since it can ruin a good margarita)

Just tried the Esquire formula with a Bulleit Bourbon / Galliano (!) / Aperol / Lemon combination. It was an interesting mix -- especially since I didn't plan on using my old(ish) bottle of Galliano for anything other than a Wallbanger (which didn't really impress me when I finally purchased the Galliano).

The result of the whiskey/galliano mix was peppery and spicy (I assume at least part of this comes from the rye in the Bulleit mashbill). Complex and eminently drinkable -- a great surprise.

I did Tanqueray, Strega, Aperol, lemon yesterday

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

by Martini you mean Martini & Rossi? Sweet or dry? If the former, DEFINITELY make a Negroni or an Americano. The first is equal parts gin, campari, and sweet vermouth, the second subs the gin for sparkling water.

By the way in my experience, a Negroni (which is what Adam George described above) can be a bit heavy-feeling if just built in the glass. If you want it to be a bit lighter in texture, shaking is not out of the question

Negroni was really nice guys, surprisingly it tasted quite similar to just campari with grapefruit juice, but stronger and sweeter. I really liked, and had 2 :laugh: I made one for the girlfriend too, but she said it tastes like eating a flower and hated it...

Any ideas what I could make for her? She likes sweet cocktails. Going to try this limoncello with hazelnut liqueur, lemon juice, egg white and sugar syrup drink

Sounds diabetic.

Try starting with gin as a base and slowly building up with hazlenut and/or lemoncello with lemon juice to balance. Keep trying little tastes on a spoon before adding egg white and ice and shaking very hard. Don't even tell her you're putting egg in as girls get all funny about this.

I'm glad you like the Negroni, though. They are incredibly morish. I don't mind mine built as I'm a gin and Campari fiend, however, for my guests I throw the ingredients from tin to tin to add some dilution and aeration.

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd