• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing cooked potatoes

mm84321

If I were to cook potatoes in chicken stock, then chill them over ice in their cooking liquid, am I okay to store them at room temp, or do I have to worry about some sort of bacterial growth? Should they be kept in the fridge, or will this negatively affect the texture? I've never kept cooked potatoes more than a few hours, but something I am doing requires preparing them 24 hours in advance. Thanks.

I'd think keeping them in the stock would affect the texture more than keeping them in the fridge. If you have a vacuum sealer, I'd drain them and bag them so that they are not affected by the drying atmosphere in the fridge.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Have you kept cooked potatoes in the fridge? They are for a salad, so they just need to be at room temp; I won't be rewarming them.

We hold blanched baby yukons in our walk in from time to time. We just pull them when they are cooked, let them cool on a sheet tray, then throw them into a lexan for storage. They hold fine for 48 hours.

You really have to be sure not to overcook and waterlog the potatoes or the holding process will amplify the problem.

Edited by Twyst (log)