• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 1/19/2021 at 9:45 AM, ElsieD said:

In looking around, most of them seem to come in 10 pound bags or larger which is way too much for testing purposes.   I need to find smaller quantities.  As soon as I can, I will go to a couple of Asian stores that I know carry a large selection and see what I can find.

I have no experience of Asian stores in Canada or the USA, but in my experience in Europe and, more specifically, Asia, your Asian store is likely to be the last place to sell rice in smaller quantities.

As I'm sure you know, most Asian people eat rice every day and so buy the stuff in 5 or 10kg bags. That's certainly all my locals stores have.

British-Malaysian comedian Nigel Ng has built a whole career talking about this.

liuzhou

liuzhou

46 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

In looking around, most of them seem to come in 10 pound bags or larger which is way too much for testing purposes.   I need to find smaller quantities.  As soon as I can, I will go to a couple of Asian stores that I know carry a large selection and see what I can find.

I have no experience of Asian stores in Canada or the USA, but in my experience in Europe and, more specifically, Asia, your Asian store is likely to be the last place to sell rice in smaller quantities.

As I'm sure you know, most Asian people eat rice every and so buy the stuff in 5 or 10kg bags. That's certainly all my locals stores have.

British-Malaysian comedian Nigel Ng has built a whole career talking about this.