• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

typos

I was in my local supermarket earier and, with this topic in mind, had a look at the varieties on offer. In total, they had 21 different rices. 16  of those were white rice, both short and longer grain, plus glutinous rices. All were Chinese grown rice except one - my regular Thai jasmine rice. Chinese rice is not the best in the world!

The others were brown rice, black and red rice, the latter two coming in both regular and glutinous varieties.

It isn't the biggest supermarket and I know the larger ones have even more.

One exception to my general dislike of Chinese rice is this.

988789700_.thumb.jpg.b0c0c6edbb511ab116de50d5e2329021.jpg

It was a gift and and don't know much about it, although I have actually been to the field it was grown in. I ony know it is considered to be a superior variety, low yield and hence expensive. I'll try to find out more.

I'd love to find Basmati rice, but relations between China and India have never been good. Few Indian products are available here.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I was in my local supermarket earier and, with this topic in mind, had a look at the varieties on offer. In total, they had 21 different rices. 16  of those were white rice, both short and longer grain, plus glutinous rices. All were Chinese grown rice except one - my regular Thai jasmine rice. Chinese rice is not the best in the world!
The others were brown rice, black and red rice, the latter two coming in both regular and glutinous varieties.

It isn't the biggest supermarket and I know they larger ones have even more.

One exception ot my general dislike of Chinese rice is this.

988789700_.thumb.jpg.b0c0c6edbb511ab116de50d5e2329021.jpg

It was a gift and and don't know much about it, although I have actually been to the field it was grown in. I ony know it is considered to be a superior variety, low yield and hence expensive. I'll try to find out more.

I'd love to find Basmati rice, but relations between China and India have never been good. Few Indian products are available here.