• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dried Herbs

liuzhou

I have searched for a prior thread without success.

Where I live, what I will call "European herbs" are pretty much unavailable in their fresh state. Apart from coriander leaf (cilantro).

No thyme. No parsley. No marjoram. No basil. No rosemary. No no no!

I have tried growing some of them but my itinerant work style doesn't really fit in with regular watering in the blazing summer heat or the chilly but not icy winter. I'm just often away from home.

I can however, get dried varieties sometimes, but to be honest I'd rather eat the moss growing on my patio roof than dried basil.

Which ones are worth using?

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I'm partial to dried thyme, rosemary, marjoram, sage, and savoury, which seem to withstand drying very nicely (on the other hand, I find dried oregano appalling, and I don't care for dried basil, either; I always detect a weird chewing gum note). Quality can vary significantly from brand to brand, which makes 'worth using' as much to do with the source (and personal preferences) as the herbs themselves.

By the way, if watering your plants is the main obstacle to growing fresh herbs, do you have any way of rigging some sort of self-watering unit? They're very simple constructions, and work well.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Interesting.

I guessed thyme and rosemary might pass muster - if not near the fresh variety. I detest dried sage.

I'm surprised by your vote for marjoram, but loathing of oregano - they are virtually the same thing.

I could probably come up up a self watering system (although I'm not the most practical of people) but there are other problems. Getting seeds is but one. Importing them is officially illegal.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

You might look into getting an Aerogarden. It will take care of things while you're away as long as you can get back often enough to fill it up with water and add nutrient pellets. Basil works very well. In fact, I'd suggest buying the smallest version and only growing basil in it, as the plants do so well that they want to completely take over the thing.