• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Congrats to Rancho Gordo!

@Kerry Beal beat me to it. I love posole, but made with Rancho Gordo hominy, it's several planes above that made with canned.

@Chris Amirault, if memory serves me right, posted a posole recipe years ago that he credited to his mother-in-law. It was my introduction to posole. I make it two or three times every winter, now.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 3 months later...

I got my shipping confirmation this morning so they're on their way.  I almost put this shipment on hold because I still have a bunch left but I knew this one would have the calendar and that traditional New Year's item that I need for good luck!

• Like 1

I think this is from last year's batch, but tonight I cooked up a little more than half a package of "Eye of the Goat" beans, along with pork hock bones with leftover meat, some smoked bratwurst as meat insurance, and some mushrooms, red bell peppers, celery and onion that needed cooking. It took 3 cycles in the Instant Pot of 35 minutes on High Pressure, then natural release for 20 - 30 minutes, then adding a bit of water and repeating, to get the beans to the creamy consistency I'd expected. I'm glad I persevered. We both thought this delicious! I have a huge backlog of beans (and I haven't joined the club for that reason, yet) but when I'm ready to buy more the Ojo do Cabra beans will be on the order form.

20191013_221446.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 1 month later...

Today I'm making Posole. I have a mix of pork neck bones and shoulder plus one weird pork bone that looks a bit like a small turkey leg. My RG pozole is finished cooking. I think they take longer than RG says; mine took 2 1/2 hours, and they seemed pretty fresh to begin with. Or maybe I like them a bit softer than Steve does. I was going to defrost some some home made red chile paste, but discovered that my husband had already defrosted some roasted green chiles for his omelet. The chiles are hot, and I have enough for a Posole Verde, so that's what it will be. Garnished with lettuce and radishes and white onion. The pork stock is still simmering and smells like New Mexico to me. OMG I really should do this more often. 

• Like 4
23 hours ago, kayb said:

@Chris Amirault, on this site, posted his mother-in-law's Castaneda Posole some 10 or more  years ago. It remains the only posole I will ever cook. Recipe here.

I've made her recipe in the past, with tweaks. It is quite good. If you have the energy I would suggest making a red chile paste/slurry using whole dried chiles rather than powdered product, but I know that's time consuming and a bit messy. Also I probably would not add the jalapenos if I had a good flavorful red chile sauce. It may be a completely strange quirk, but when I lived in NM we generally didn't mix fresh chiles with dried or powdered, nor did we often mix red chile with green in the same dish. Now that doesn't include the batches of fresh green chiles that had a few red ripening ones in the bunch; those were all roasted and treated as fresh green, and that was always my favorite aesthetically.

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...

Oh my goodness. There are 11,000 people on the @rancho_gordo bean club waitlist! (According to the CBS story). Thank goodness I’m already in it. I do love it, and rave about the beans to anyone who will listen, so I get it. Well deserved publicity for a great product and a really thoughtful food grower.

I had the mayocoba’s the other day, cooking them for a soup I love. They almost didn’t make it to the soup! Great meaty texture and a subtle smokey flavor that got lost in the soup. They were so good on their own that if they come in the bean club box again I’m eating them on their own.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

gayle28607

On 11/26/2020 at 10:18 AM, Gayle28607 said:

Oh my goodness. There are 11,000 people on the @rancho_gordo bean club waitlist! (According to the CBS story). Thank goodness I’m already in it. I do love it, and rave about the beans to anyone who will listen, so I get it. Well deserved publicity for a great product and a really thoughtful food grower.

Two years ago I sent some RG beans as a gift in mid December and they barely missed the Christmas shipping cutoff. 

This year they're already past the Christmas shipping deadline!

I'm sure they're working at reduced capacity, but wow.

(Thankfully I have all I need from the club!) 

14 hours ago, dtremit said:

(Thankfully I have all I need from the club!) 

Yes, this pandemic has made me hugely grateful for the bean club! As others, apparently, were sweeping bags of less-than-optimal bags of beans into their carts in March, I was thinking, "Oh! More time to be home to cook those bean club beans." Cooking things like the Rancho Gordo beans, and then having lovely beans reappear like magic, has been one of the positive pandemic experiences. 

• Like 2

gayle28607

• 2 months later...

Bean club got here this morning!  I had totally forgotten about it.  Two new (to me)--the Cicerchia look really interesting and the Hidatsa Red too.  Like others have said, I'm very grateful to be a member of the bean club.  I'm sure the wait list to get in is very very long by now.

thumbnail_IMG_0590.jpg.ca82b645eb7adbfd92c446eebd1150a7.jpg

• Like 4
43 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Two new (to me)--the Cicerchia look really interesting and the Hidatsa Red too.

Those two are new to me, too, and I'm looking forward to trying them.  I got my order confirmation but no shipping notice yet.  Hopefully they'll get shipped next week. 

• Like 1

I always meant to order esp years ago when he posted often and was getting the biz going.  I've accepted that we're just not a big bean family.  Nice to see he has a waiting list.  Love the packaging and concept. 

• Like 1

That wasn't chicken

57 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Bean club got here this morning!  I had totally forgotten about it.  Two new (to me)--the Cicerchia look really interesting and the Hidatsa Red too.  Like others have said, I'm very grateful to be a member of the bean club.  I'm sure the wait list to get in is very very long by now.

@Shelby Is there a suggested bean or use associated with the sweet little jar of turmeric?

38 minutes ago, heidih said:

@Shelby Is there a suggested bean or use associated with the sweet little jar of turmeric?

Yes :)  He says in the quarterly news letter that comes with the beans that he doesn't use much turmeric but that his friends at Burlap and Barrel had it and the staff at RG loved it.  He suggests a one-pot Turmeric Rice and Beans (saute chopped onion in oil, toss in turmeric, cumin and salt and pepper.  Ad dried beans and water to cover.  Simmer until beans are soft.  Stir in uncooked rice when you have about 20 mins left.  Cover and cook until rice is tender), Crispy Chickpeas with turmeric (cook chickpeas, drain well, toss in olive oil, turmeric, salt pepper, ginger and chili.  Transfer to baking sheet.  Bake in 400F oven until crisp about 30 mins.)

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Shelby said:

Thank you for the spoiler.  My box is here but I haven't been able to bring myself to open it.

8 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I'm sorry!  I should have put a spoiler warning !

I was the child who always tried to peek through the wrapping paper so knowing what's in the box only heightens my anticipation of getting my hands on the goods...or beans 🙃

• Haha 5
4 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

I down-sized to the Bean Club Lite version (twice a year), so not getting this one. Drat! I've gotten it for so many years, it feels odd to miss one now.

I certainly should downsize but I'm afraid of missing something.

• Haha 5