• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dessert using Dijon Mustard?

amberlee0811

I'm in school for patisserie and baking. We had a mystery basket practical last night that we have to make a 3 component dessert with. My mystery ingredients were dijon mustard and mace. Mace is easy enough, but the mustard threw me off. I know I can throw it into a bunch of different things, but I didn't want to just mask it. I made a sauce using figs, balsamic vinegar, and dijon. First I made a caramel sauce, then cooked the other ingredients into it. It tastes good, But I'm not really excited about it. So I wanted to get some other ideas.

That ice cream idea sounds great, I wonder if that would work well as a sorbet? I've never even heard of candied pork, now I'm entrigued. I'll have to go look it up. Thanks!

It might, but I think you might need the weight of the cream to balance the mustard-y notes properly.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

If you want a dijon mustard ice cream as a starting point, this one works very nicely. Sam Mason's work inspired me a great deal, I'm not sure what he's doing since Tailor but hopefully he's not done with the kitchen.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I'd use it in a gingerbread recipe, replacing pepper (if the recipe called for it); mostly because today we were making the fresh ginger cake from David Lebovitz and the bite of the fresh ginger reminds me of the bite you get with dijon. I bet you could replace the black pepper and reduce the fresh ginger a little bit to compensate...use a teaspoon or two of the mustard if you go with that recipe.

Too, just kicking this out there, but the mustard icecream, yeah. But also fruit. Think of Italian mustard fruits. Sure, it's fruit and mustard oil, which isn't exactly the same thing as a jar of the stuff you eat with ham and roast beef sandwiches, but it might be a combination worth exploring.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I wonder if hydrating dried fruits in white wine and sugar (or maybe a liqueur) and folding them into the mustard ice cream would make for a nice play on the mostarda theme in a dessert setting. Maybe with some candied prosciutto, a mace-scented olive oil cake and some sugared pistachios or hazelnuts. Hmmm...

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Playing off a favorite fall combo of apple pie w/ a slice of cheddar cheese. I'd try a tart w/ a puff pastry base topped with a light smear of dijon and honey, thinly sliced tart apples, and some sharp cheddar.