• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bete Noir in a convection oven

JeanneCake

Is it possible? I've always done mine in small batches (meaning 14 or 28 at a time) in a regular oven; I am going to be getting requests for 150+ and I would really like to use the convection oven (low fan).

I'll have time to try it out mid-Sept when things calm down, but thought I'd see if anyone is making it like that now; or has in the past and can either reassure me it's possible or save me from wasting the ingredients :)

Basically, it's an egg foam (whole eggs beaten with sugar), with melted chocolate and butter that has a hot sugar syrup added to it, then that is added to the eggs and it's baked in a bain marie. I always get a crust on mine, it breaks up when the cake is compressed down after coming out of the oven (I always push down on the whole ones with the bottom of a tart pan, or for my individuals, a smaller round pan that fits inside the 3" round pan. This way, there is little chance the cake will be "sunken" on the sides - but if that were to happen, we'd just fill it out with some semi-firm ganache.