• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vermouth in Leek Soup

Shel_B

I came across a recipe for caramelized leek soup which I'd like to try. It's made with vermouth. I don't know much about vermouth other than it can be had as a sweet or a dry variety. In the recipe below, which style of vermouth might be best, and are there any brands that might be well suited to this purpose? Thanks!

Caramelized Leek Soup

2 pounds leeks (white and pale green parts only; about 2 bunches)

3 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 1/4 teaspoons sugar

1/4 cup vermouth

3 1/2 cups chicken broth

Garnish: 4 teaspoons finely sliced fresh chives

... Shel

Re the vermouth, the dry is the colour of white wine, sweet is red, so, to me, dry would be the way to go. This sounds excellent; have you had a chance to try it yet? If the vermouth doesn't suit your taste, try a dry sherry.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I would use an inexpensive dry vermouth like Gallo extra dry. Cooks illustrated rated it #1 and says that in amounts up to 1/2 cup vermouth can be a 1:1 substitution for white wine. So you can keep it around, for up to 3 months in the fridge, and use it in lieu of white wine.

I would use an inexpensive dry vermouth like Gallo extra dry. Cooks illustrated rated it #1 and says that in amounts up to 1/2 cup vermouth can be a 1:1 substitution for white wine. So you can keep it around, for up to 3 months in the fridge, and use it in lieu of white wine.

That sounds like good information. Thanks!

... Shel

Yeah, that's almost certainly the dry variety. In my experience, there are very few recipes that use sweet vermouth. In general, Noilly Prat of Dolin dry vermouths are considered to be the gold standard.

Thanks!

... Shel

• 4 weeks later...

Re the vermouth, the dry is the colour of white wine, sweet is red, so, to me, dry would be the way to go. This sounds excellent; have you had a chance to try it yet? If the vermouth doesn't suit your taste, try a dry sherry.

I made the soup using dry vermouth, and it was a big hit. A friend suggested marsala as an alternative, and I used marsala when I made another onion dish - the results were quite good.

... Shel